Chapter 22 | Manon

The sun was high in the sky when we landed at the castle. Kat was exhausted, and despite my insistence for her to rest in her room, she refused.

It didn't seem like we had just experienced an attack, as all the witches in the council were perfectly organized and awaiting orders.

We gathered in the council chamber upon entering the palace. There was little information as the attack had been swift, and the yellowleg had died, preventing us from extracting much information. It had flown above the clouds before plummeting to the ground, catching us off guard. Undoubtedly, she had learned that tactic in Omega; she must have known it.

The first decision was to organize patrols of wyverns constantly watching our lands from above. Anyone attempting to surprise us would find it very difficult. Apart from that, there was little more we could do.

The shadows had returned with some information, but not much. They had seen a wyvern flying through the forests bordering the Wastes. Without a doubt, it was one of my initial suspicions; no one would be more displeased with us as neighbors than the territory right on our borders.

I organized my seven most trusted emissaries, sending each pair to an adjoining territory. Under the pretext of establishing new trade ties, we would investigate who might be connected to the yellowlegs and had reasons to support them. Certainly, no one went to Perranth, Terrasen, or Adarlan; I doubted Aelin, Elide, or Dorian would have been involved. But it was someone who knew when I wouldn't be at home.

Kat, once recovered, went with Sarah to Anielle—one of the most suspicious and unpleasant places. That's why I sent my best soldiers.

Glennis and Lynnen went to Eyllwe. We doubted the threat came from so far, but it was always good to reestablish contact with a realm so closely tied to the Crochans.

Selene and Daiane went to Melisandre. Petrah and I went to the Wastes to pay Ansel a visit. He had willingly handed over the lands, but we weren't exactly trustworthy people. It was the closest destination, and we would be less than a day's flight away if something happened.

As we were leaving, Jaffna, one of my shadows, approached me.

- Manon, can we talk for a second? - she said, coming closer.
- You have 30 seconds, Jaffna.
- I found it - she said, a half-smile appearing on her face - it's in a clearing in the mountains. The walking access is quite difficult, but it's reachable by wyvern. Here's the location. - She handed me a scroll.
- Thank you, Jaffna. You've done a good job.
- Manon, are you ready? - Petrah asked from the door in her flying attire.
- Give me a second; I have to send an urgent letter.

Minutes later, we were soaring through the skies, heading to the Wastes that had dominated our lands for so long. There were no signs that anything was wrong there, but I was sure we would find something.

DORIAN POV:

I was working on some documents in my office when someone knocked on the door.

-Excuse me, sir, an urgent letter has arrived for you.
- Who is it from?
-The Queen of Witches, sir.

I jumped out of my chair upon hearing it. Had something happened? It had been two days since I said goodbye to Manon, and not a second passed without me thinking about her and what she might have found.

The letter was concise, but even if it was more affectionate, Manon was still Manon.

"I'll see you in two days at this location.
Come alone, and come flying."

Well, I didn't understand much, but I knew I would see her soon, and that was enough for me.