Chapter 25 | Dorian

From within the water and without turning around, Manon had sensed my presence.

- Hello, princeling.
-Hello, witchling.
-would you like a bath after your flight?
- First, I'd like to know where we are, honestly.
- Well, I'll tell you when you come over here with me, or don't you feel like it? - she turned to look at me with one of her half-smiles.
- Of course, I wanted to; it was the only thing I had thought about for days – being with her. However, I still couldn't fathom why we were in a cabin in the middle of a forest, a detail that intrigued me deeply.
Manon wasn't a romantic, and we certainly weren't on a romantic getaway. This had to mean something. I began to undress from my flight suit because I knew Manon wouldn't reveal anything until I did what she was asking. Though I enjoyed making her wait, I had missed her too much to stay away for another minute.

I eased into the water; the spring air was warm, but the water was hot – probably some kind of thermal spring. Manon observed me curiously as I stripped down and entered the water.

- Did you miss me? - she asked, catching me even more off guard. I stared at her, trying to discern any emotion on her face that could reveal what lay behind all this, but all I saw was nostalgia. I submerged myself in the water, embracing its warmth, and, God, I hadn't realized how much I needed a bath like this.
- Always, my queen. - She swam to my side, and before I knew it, she was on top of me, arms around my neck, giving me a deep kiss – neither passionate nor demanding, something very uncharacteristic of her. But I couldn't think anymore.

Hours passed before we decided to leave the water, and I hadn't noticed the surroundings of the cabin. It was a lush forest, the green tones of the trees contrasting with lavender flowers beneath them. The surrounding mountains marked the natural border of the Wastes, tall and beautiful. It smelled incredibly good, of flowers and nature. I liked this place, whatever it was.

As the sun set, wrapped in towels, we left the lake and sat on the shore. Manon leaned back on the towel, quiet and still, gazing at the sky.

- What's wrong, Manon? - I lay down next to her, turning my face to look at her directly.
- Nothing, it's just that I love this place. Now I understand. - There was longing, sadness, but also joy in her voice. I was truly confused.
- Are you going to tell me where we are? - Seeing she had no intention of answering, I continued, - The last time we saw each other, we had to run from Perranth after an attack. Has something happened? Have you found out who was behind it?
- This was Asterin's cabin. - Her answer caught me completely off guard. I remembered the story Asterin told at the camp, how she told it to the Crochan, and how she did it in the Omega in front of the Black Peaks. I had wished to kill the matron with my own hands, even more than I did before. - When she told her story, I hated my grandmother, a lot, but I also hated myself for not seeing it. But a part of me, amid all that hatred, envies her. Not her daughter's death but... everything else. I didn't understand how... one of us could have a relationship with a man... a real relationship. What it felt like to be connected to someone, to have a home. And well... I think I understand now.
- Manon, I... I didn't know, I should have guessed, but... how did you find her?
- Well, I remembered every time she told her story and how she returned to see her partner. In each tale, she gave some information, and, well, I remembered. It all happened after returning from Adarlan... after all, I needed to... well, understand it. I asked one of my shadows to find the place based on the instructions I gave them. And well, here we are.

I didn't know what to say; she had found the cabin, and she was there with me. I understood what it meant to her. I could only cup her face in my hands and kiss her, just as she had kissed me a few minutes ago. Now I understood that kiss, and it was wonderful.