|81| • Amelia

When Frank and Evie went into the kitchen to talk, I turned my heel into the living room. Being here again felt nice; the homey aura was still here. I was simply the one being eaten out by guilt. It felt like I was on the verge of running what I and Evie had built. All because I was the way I was.

Shaking my head, I plumped down to the couch with a sigh. "It's okay, you're fine," I told myself, hugging my knees in thought. I am fine now; I am getting better. But we're things between us, okay? I knew it would take some time to get to where we had stopped before, but I didn't mind. I wanted us to grow stronger. I wanted to be better.

Who knew my heart would fall this hard for him?

With a sad smile, I tried to control my breathing just as Dr Jones advised whenever I began overthinking, or else it would lead to a panic attack. Chewing the bottom of my lip, I thought of other ways to show him I was willing to do better, and I guess the best way was actually to do better, huh? Chuckling to myself, I stretched out.

"You okay?"

The sudden presence made me gasp, my heartbeat speeding up as I jumped out of the couch I was sitting on, ready to serve hands to the intruder. With a glimpse of red bouncy strands, my guard went down, and my hand slapped over my chest. "Saffron! Hi, oh my days, you scared me." I huffed, taking deep breaths. When did she sneak up on me?

Saffron grinned, waving innocently like she didn't just scare the living lights out of me. "My bad..." Was her singsong reply. Huffing, I straightened up, offering my hands for her to shake. I was pretty sure she knew what I'd done, but what I didn't know was if she'd be willing to hug me after hurting her big brother.

Saffron smirked, pulling me into a hug, much to my surprise.

"I was starting to think you'd gone MIA." She whispered. Too stunned to speak, I hugged her back. They were all still so welcoming that my eyes began to burn with a fresh round of salty tears. It took all in me not to let them fall; I didn't want her pity because I let a few drops fall. I was ready for her to scold me, even shun me.

"L-let's sit." I stuttered, my voice nearly giving the tears away. Clearing my throat, I broke away from the hug before settling down on the couch, this time turning to face her. Saffron pursed her lips, moving the wild strands of hair out of her face and behind her ears.

"I'd ask how you are, but I can already tell." She uttered cautiously, leaning into the couch with her eyes resting on me. "I heard you're in culinary school. How's that going?" Saffron inquired.

"It's...it's actually really nice. I've met some amazing friends there; I've already learned many recipes, which is also great, considering I'd love to set up a bakery of my own sometime in the future. And it's honestly so surreal that I get to see some legends like Chef Gaston and the likes!" I was rambling on, wasn't I? Clearing my throat, I brought myself back. "I'm so grateful I get to have this kind of opportunity." I meant that.

I was incredibly grateful for this; never did I think I'd even get a job at a bakery. Now, I was in one of the best culinary schools ever, without even paying a dime for my tuition. How wonderful was that? I honestly felt like I didn't deserve it. I didn't deserve to be blessed this way. I thanked God for Evie every day. What kind of man would offer to pay my tuition and not ask me to sleep with him? We were dating, but that wasn't obligated to do that for me.

He was a godsend, I'd tell you that.

"When Dad told me Everest was paying for your culinary school, I could hardly believe it. I know my big brother is generous, but that was a huge step, even for him. He really loves you, you know?" She responded quietly, placing her head even so gently on the headrest. I did the same, looking at my fingers.