43.

iFAIRYTALE KaMAGEZA

𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐭 43

[NARRATIVE]

Sipho has been coming to the shelter a lot lately. Even if there's no plumbing work, he comes to lend his hand where he's needed. Today is one of his normal days. He's finishing up fixing the watching machine. Once he's done he washes his hands. It's lunch and most of the caretakers usually go outside the premises to eat, that gives him freedom to do his sinful activities.

Room 23 has been his playground lately. He walks in and scans the room, he about to close the door when he feels something sharp on the side of his neck. He holds the area and his hand comes back with blood, while he's still in shock the knife is shoved in deeper this time. Nomeva moves to stand in front of him. There's nothing but anger on her face. Anger of an old woman whose been violated day after day. She cried every night feeling helpless. She begged over and over again for him to stop but he never listened.

Sipho falls on the floor holding his neck. He's dying. He reaches for his pocket and pulls out  a paper. It's his daughter's school report. He had put it in his the pocket the previous day. He's the only parent she has. There's no one else. Nomeva is left holding the paper with tears looming in his eyes as reality of what she's done sinks in. She was protecting herself.

She looks at the report again. It's a grade R report. Her heart sinks. She runs out of the room calling for help. Sipho cannot die and leave such young child. She won't be able to live with herself. She has destroyed so many lives already "Help!!" she calls. She directs the caretakers to her room where they find Sipho lying cold in a pool of blood. One caretaker checks his pulse. He's gone, there's nothing they can do now.

*
*
*

Smiso finally makes it to his flat. He's bleeding. One of his stitches must have popped. He's in great pain. He finds his belongings outsiders the flat in black plastics. Someone has moved in his flat. Where the hell is he going to sleep?

He sits down and tries to call Vincent again, there's still nothing. He tries to think but nothing is coming. He has no plan.

The door opens behind him.

"Hi..." the guy greets him looking confused but he man sitting outside his door "Oh My Gosh!!" he exclaims when he notices the blood on Smiso's pants "Are you okay?" he asks quickly rushing to Smiso "I'm calling an ambulance-"

"No" Smiso says wincing in pain as he tries to stand up "I got discharged today, these are my things, I have no where to go, I have no one" they say a man doesn't cry but he has tears lingering in his eyes followed by a wave of regret. If he didn't allow greed and jealousy to consume him he wouldn't be here today. Yes his life wasn't perfect but he wasn't homeless.

"Oh I'm so sorry darling, I can help you with a place to crush for tonight. You're not in a good state" Smiso nods in relief.

"Thank you so much" the guy takes the plastics helping him inside the flat.

*
*
*

MaTembe heard the news of her daughter Nobuhle's whereabouts from one of her neighbours who explained she saw her strawling kwaJama. She's going there to kick her out herself. "Where does she even get the guts to go there after what she did? She has no shame! I know Mahlathini has a soft heart and she will use that to her advantage, uqambe eshilo!" MaTembe swears storming out of the house. It's still very early in the morning but she doesn't care. She wants Nobuhle gone emagcekeni kaJama.

Her husband Sgidi is still sleeping. His van would have gotten her there faster but she will walk. It's not that far. On her way there she's talking and throwing her hands in the air like a madwoman. She's mad. Nobuhle left here 5 years ago saying she's going to study in Johannesburg abandoning her child while at it. She never bothered coming home or calling them. They've been stressing about her for years thinking she's been killed or kidnapped kanti she's busy namadoda. Now she's back namavezandlebe they have no knowledge of "Mameshane!" she clicks her tongue and continues walking.

She arrives to chaos kwaJama. Nobuhle is standing at the porch throwing all sorts of Vulgar to Celiwe whose standing at the door being held by Mahlathini "Ngiyeke ngishaye lesfebe bhuti!!" she tries to break off from her brother's hold but he's holding her tight.

"Yewena Nobuhle ufunani la?!" MaTembe is now standing in the yard with her hands on her figure. She made sure she gets a good stick along the way. Nobuhle is mute all of a SUNDAY as she stares at her fumming mother "I'm taking to you mfazi ndini, what the hell are you doing here!?"

"You and Baba chased me away, where do you think I'm sleeping? Wena mama kade ngabona ukuthi awungifuni. You love Vuka more than me! I don't know what you're doing here because I left you and your husband alone!" MaTembe loses it, she charges for Nobuhle who runs leaving her kids behind.