Chapter 13

We come down and start choosing the lehenga. We both feel uncertain about how to behave. I was supposed to marry a guy, but now I am marrying a girl. It's fine; I know Geet is better than Ranjeet.

Dad asked me, "How's the lehenga?"

"It's beautiful," Geet said with a smile.

"Geet, you know what? I already have a lehenga, so choose one you like."

Geet asked, "Choose for me? What should I wear for our wedding?" Shit, "our wedding" — those words are so scary. I am feeling so scared. It's just for our benefits.

"I think a dark color suits you. I like maroon."

Ranjeet arrived. "Woah, finally, you are the winner, Geet!"

Geet said, "Yes."

"You think I deserved to know this? Where is Chipsy? Is he also happy? Everyone is happy except me."

I smell something.

"You drink too much."

"Whatever I want, I always bought. But you think I cannot buy you. Payal Agarwal, you always think that I am a jerk. Now I will show who is more powerful."

"Ranjeet, calm down! Have you lost your mind?" Dad shouted.

"What a greedy dad you have, Payal. He changed the decision without informing me."

I think Ranjeet has gone mad. His dad hurt him; he is in pain. Ranjeet is angry, and it's not good for me.

"She is not your type. You forget what you said to me. You are not into her. Again your dad is forcing you to marry another person?" Ranjeet's voice is filled with pain, and he is moving like he can't stand.

I try to call Chipsy; I know he will listen to Chipsy. Chipsy's phone is not picking up the call. He is my last hope. Finally, I see him. He is holding someone's hand.

Chipsy said with a smile, "Dad! Finally, it's time to meet my girlfriend." What, no, he's mad!

"Chipsy, where are you? I called you."

"Payal! My girlfriend came from Japan."

"What? She's Japanese?" I look at her and give a smile. She smiles back. Dad probably hates this, so he left. Geet is still choosing a lehenga. She is so cool and calm. Ranjeet is messed up.

"Yes, she is. I love her. She will join this wedding. What a strange surprise I got. You're finally marrying your girlfriend!"

Ranjeet starts dancing. "Woohoo!"

"What's happening?" he asked Ranjeet.

Ranjeet removes his ATM card and performs some nazar rasam, then throws it. "You want it. Love words never suit me. I used to think I was good, but now I'm being a good guy, and it's messing with me. If I can't be happy, then nobody can."

Chipsy takes the ATM card and puts it in his pocket.

"Let's talk! Ranjeet, Naomi, please enjoy this place. I'll come in a moment."

"Yes," Naomi said. 

"Bahadur, show her room. Naomi."

Naomi left, and Chipsy holds Ranjeet's hand.

"Let's go." Ranjeet doesn't say a word. Geet is still choosing her lehenga. I'm tense and worried.

Geet asks, "What kind of jewelry suits Payal?"

"Geet!..."

"What? Are you worried?"

"Yes, Ranjeet is so powerful. If he decides that the marriage will not happen, then it will not."