Prologue

I never thought about afterlife or what happens after my death. I didn't care about anything after death because death has always been the end to me. I asked myself many times,why should we care what happens when we are not here to experience it.

May be I have always been subconsciously afraid of ignorance and the unknown. May be that is the reason why I tried to help others even when it's against my thoughts. May be I was gathering the virtues for my afterlife even unknowingly.

Alas, such thoughts are useless to a soul/spirit? wandering in this infinite cosmos. But gradually, I can feel my conscious being drawn to a pillar of light. The pillar of light is concise but infinite and is beyond the mortal comprehension. Just the presence of the light filled me with serenity.

The moment of peace was broken by a voice calling my name? But what is a name to a soul. Before I could think more on it, I turned to the voice and was surprised to find that the voice was coming from the light.

May be the light or the deity sensed my unease, cause the surroundings suddenly changed and I found myself in the presence of the Destroyer, Lord of the Lords, the Great Lord shiva with his wife, the personification of energy, Mother goddess Parvati.

"Is this comfortable? ", the Lord asked, while the mother just looked at me in amusement. I just stared unable to comprehend what is happening.

The Mother goddess took pity on me and explained to me that I am getting the chance to be reincarnated as a hero with my memories. Even though I felt a great pleasure knowing that I am getting such an epic chance despite my unimpressive achievements in my life, I was also terrified of meeting the expectations of being a great hero.

As if making my fears true, the Lord spoke, "your new life will be of a tragic hero, who suffered undeserving curses. While he was generous and lived truthfully with righteousness, he has also succumbed to ego and jealousy. Even though he reached the zenith in valour despite his circumstances and became so great that no warrior was his equal, he has also lost his life for forgetting his righteousness due to his loyalty and friendship."

I realized immediately that I am going to be born as Karna, son of the Sun God. I immediately bowed to the divine couple and cried out, " O Mahadev, Maatha Paarvathi, I am blessed that you are giving my unworthy soul this chance. But, how can I meet your expectations when I am but a normal human with no remarkable achievements? "

Mother Goddess just looked at me calmly and said, " Dear child, no one is unremarkable as you put it, when Lord Brahma created this world he gave some thing unique to every living thing in this world. You shouldn't compare your abilities to others after all a fish swims underwater while a bird flies in open skies. Every one has their own place and their own talent.

Still, as you do not believe in yourself ask for a boon that will help you. But be sure to remember you cannot ask for the powers of others or immortality, so choose wisely. "

I thought long and hard to the bemusement of the divine couple and then asked my boon, " O Mother, as you said I cannot ask for the powers of any others and immortality, Give me the boon that any benefit that I receive has to amplified by 1000 times and any harm I receive has to be reduced by 1000 times. "

The divine couple just smiled at me and said "thathasthu! " ( So be it!) And darkness claimed me.