Nineteen

Even though I decided to not involve myself in this cursed war, Fate had been trying its best to pull me into it. First came, Lord Sri Krishna with his sweet promises, speaking about my birth story, saying that Rajmata kunti was my mother and the Pandavas were my brothers and would serve me. I replied that though she had given birth to me, Rajmata Kunti was not my mother, for my mother is Radha, who has loved me, cared for me and nurtured me as if I am her own. Come whatever may, this Radheya will never forget the mother who raised him nor will he replace her just because she didn't give birth to me. As for the Pandavas, I responded that I can never consider those wretches, who staked their wife and sat silently as she was humiliated, as my brothers. Madhava said that he had known this will be my answer, but it was his responsibility to try. Then came Rajmata Kunti, I don't know how she learned about me, I suspect Keshava's hand, She began weeping about how she is a wretched mother to throw me away and to forgive her. I felt my heartbreak hearing her grief, I said I understood her situation and do not blame her, but I informed her that though she may have given birth to me, I have a mother. She said, she was happy I had a loving mother and that she will always be greatful for raising me. It was then she began to speak about the war and asked me take part on the side of my brothers to help them win. I responded that I declared neutrality and as an elder brother, I had already saved their wife from their folly when they ignored my advice to walk into the trap by claiming her as my sister and that I cannot fight on the side of those, who caused their wife such humiliation even after I warned them of the trap. When she said that she is begging for children's lives, I said that every soldier is a child of some mother and I cannot be the one who causes them grief to spare you the same. I offered her and her sons sanctuary if it is needed but once more affirmed that I will not involve in this war. I also said that her nephew Lord Vasudeva is on Pandavas side and he will make them win the war with his trickery and reminded that her sons were Devputras, whom the gods wouldn't let die easily.

The accursed bloodbath was decided to be held on Kurukshetra. Both sides were prepared, but the Pandavas had their cousin Lord Govind on their side with their warriors believing in their cause, while Kauravas had superior numbers, nearly the double, Great warriors like Bheeshma, Drona, Kripa etc. The only thing here is the Great warriors on Kaurava army were Pandava sympathasizers and wished for their own defeat. Still, the war raged furiously for 16 days, Bheeshma fell on the tenth day because Arjuna hid behind Shikandi and shot the weaponless Mahaamahim, as such the great warrior was felled by his dearest grandson making the sure victory of Kauravas to doubtful. Drona, the peerless warrior and teacher fell on the 15th day, the second commander of the Kauravas, who loved Arjuna like his own son, was slain when helpless when he believed the words of his son's death from the mouth of Dharmaraj, Making the doubtful victory a defeat of Kauravas. Finally on the sixteenth day, King Duryodhana was killed when hit on the thighs against the rules of Mace combat, finalising the defeat of Kauravas. King Duryodhana, who was invincible in the Mace combat after practicing for thirteen years was crippled with a treacherous blow by Bheema on the suggestion of Arjuna. Lord Balarama, who witnessed such grievous crime was enraged and wanted to slay the Pandavas, but again Lord Sri Krishna intervened to save them. Here, not content with crippling Suyodhana, Bheema kicked the fallen warriors head. Devas, Gandharvas, Yakshas and Nagas who witnessed this, accused the Pandavas of treacherously winning the killing the righteous Bheeshma, Drona, Bhurishravas and now Duryodhana unfairly. Lord Balrama, who witnessed his favoured disciple's state, whatever crimes Suyodhana may have committed, he has fought the war fairly and righteously having performed all the yaganas and sacrifices and having followed the rules of war and finally sacrificing his life in a righteous combat, he will attain the heaven for his virtues. It was then the Pandavas realised finally that they are not as righteous as they believed themselves to be and they were consumed by grief of slaying their loved ones in treacherous ways. Lord Krishna consoled them the war was inevitable and there would have been no difference in the result. Saying this they left the battlefield, leaving Duryodhana to bleed out. It was in such state that Duryodhana was found by Ashwatthama and seeing his friend in such condition and learning of the Pandavas treachery, the enraged Dronaputr has vowed to destroy Pandavas before the morning. He along with Kritavarman and Rajguru Kripacharya, attacked the pandava camp in the night and summoning rudra avatar into ashwatthama. The rudra avatat along with ganas could not be stopped as they destroyed the camp. Ashwatthama found the pandava tent and saw five sleeping forms. Assuming them to be Pandavas he killed them in sleep. But, Pandavas along with Draupadi were with Lord Krishna and it was the sons of Draupadi, who died to Ashwatthama's rage. Lord Vasudeva, knowing that Pandavas will die, if they stayed in the camp, took them with him to protect them and their children paid price for their treacherous ways in the war.