One

In the kingdom of Kunthibhoj, Princess Kunthi is very happy.

A few days ago, the great sage Durvaasa has arrived in the their kingdom and her adopted father, King Kunthibhoj has given her the responsibility of being host to the great sage.

The sage pleased with her devotion and service, gave her a mantra as blessing. With this mantra, she can call upon any God to bless her with a child.

Princess kunthi, in her jubilant mood said about the mantra to her friend and maid Priyamvada, she didn't believe her. So, to prove the mantra and also to satisfy her curiosity, she decided to evoke the mantra. In her haste, she forgot the warning of the great sage to not evoke the mantra before her marriage.

When Kunthi decided to evoke the mantra and thought of the God, her eyes fell on the sun and she immediately thought of The Sun with his divine grace and beauty.

Kunthi evoked the mantra and the divine Sun God himself descended on earth in front of the princess.
Kunthi, pleases that mantra has worked, bowed to the Sun God and said, " O divine one, I am pleased that you have come. My gratitude on to you, I will call upon you after my marriage, O Radiant one you may leave now. "

But fate has other plans and once the mantra is evoked, a God cannot return before blessing the person with a child. So the Sun God explained, " O princess, you should not have forgotten the warnings of Sage Durvaasa, as I cannot return with blessing you with a child."

Princess Kunthi pleaded the God that she is not married and hence cannot be a mother and that her father and adopted father will be humiliated.

But the Sun God was helpless and he blessed her with a child from his radiance. He also granted the child kavacha kundala made of amrit (ear rings and armour made of nectar of Gods) as part of his body. He blessed the child that he will be a great hero renowned for his valour and generosity and that he will be radiant like a sun, a lion amongst men, with an armour no weapon can breach. He will be invincible in battle with a strength of ten thousand elephants, he will be excellent in weaponry with mighty arms, he will be big in stature like a bull amongst men. His arrows will be like sun rays and no warrior will be his equal. He proclaimed that his son will called Vijayadhari. (Wielder of the Victory).

After blessing the child, the Sun God left for sky leaving the princess with her infant son. The princess, not knowing what to do, terrified of humiliation that she may face, prepared basket filled with lotus flower and sealed with wax with the help of her maid friend Priyamvada and with tears flowing like rivers from her eyes she kissed her first born child.

Then she took the child and carefully placed the child in the basket and then removed her jewelry and placed it with the child. The child held her finger as if asking her to not abandon him, but the princess hardened her heart and with tearing eyes and breaking heart she released the basket in the waters of Ashwanadi. She prayed to Sun God to keep their child safe.

The basket with the child slowly floated through the waters, eventually reaching the holy waters of Ganga. While the basket floated through her waters, the river godess Lady Ganga became curious about the baby crying of hunger and looked at the child. Seeing the divinity of child and looking at his condition, the mother's heart of the goddess melted and she took him to her bossom and summoned some milk to feed him. Knowing of his abandoned condition and wanting to help him, she remembered the Suta couple daily praying to the Sun God for a child in Anga on her banks and immediately took the child to Anga as it is the time the couple come to offer their prayers.

When the couple arrived and started their prayers, she let go of the basket and floated the child towards the couple. As the couple found the basket floating towards them and a child's cry coming from it, they immediately caught the basket and took it to the banks and opened it. As if the God has heard their prayers, the elderly suta couple found a child in it and immediately thanked the God for this gift.

Looking at golden earrings and jewelry in the basket, the wife named the child Vasusen (born with wealth).

The suta couple who found it in their heart to take a child they found as their own are Adhirath and his wife Radha. For this act of love, the child who they raised as if their own will proclaim that however great he may become and whatever heights he may reach, he will forever be their son and will always be known as Radheya (son of Radha).