Fourteen

Two years after I became the king of Magadha, word has spread that Kuru princes were returning after the completion of their studies and there is going to be a Kalapradarshan. It seems that the main events of the epic are about to begin. But, there will be no Karna to challenge Arjuna this time. I wonder, if this will change the future. But, Lord Sri Krishna has stated to Arjuna in the epic, that the war was inevitable and that there would be no difference in the result whether Arjuna fights or not. So, may be there won't be any changes.

There was some major news from Hastinapur after the Kalapradarshan other than about the usual arguments of who would be the next king. It seems that Guru Dronacharya wanted his students to avenge his insult by king Drupad as Guru Dakshina. The Kuru princes waged war against the Panchala kingdom and its army. Though the General Shikandini of the Panchala army defeated and captured Kauravas. Pandavas were able to defeat Drupad and capture the King thereby securimg the release of Kauravas. Guru Drona pleased with Pandavas, took northern half of the panchala kingdom and made his son Ashwatthama its king. The remaining southern half was left to King Drupas to rule from his new capital Kampilya.

During the time between my ascension and the Kalapradarshan my younger brother is also married. I felt three sons are enough for us and asked for my wife's opinion as she is the one who has to carry the child and she agreed with me. In the mean time, my brothers welcomed new additions to the family.

About an year after the Panchala kingdom invasion, Prince Yudhishthir was announced as the crown Prince and he ruled about five years as the crown prince assisting king Dritharashtra. During that period, the already wealthy Magadha had developed a lot. Our already vast army swelled in numbers and the quality of the soldiers also went up. The forest tribes like Nishads also joined our Kingdom seeing our prosperity. The addition of several forest tribes has added considerable forest land and resources to our kingdom. Our people also gained access to obscure knowledge, which was passed orally amongst the tribes. Our scholars and healers were especially interested in such knowledge. I have formed trade and military alliances with all of our neighbors, who were very happy that I am not a tyrant,subjugating others with my strength and accepted my ventures immediately. I have also began the education of my sons and my brothers were happy to contribute. 

Many years passed and there came an invitation to swayamvara of the fireborn princess of Kampilya. She is said to be the most beautiful women in Aryavarta with dusky complex and radiant eyes. King Drupad unable to forget the humiliation by his friend Drona, wanted vengeance and performed a Yagna to get son who will be the death of Dronacharya. But the Gods along with giving him the son he requested, Drishtadhyumna, also wanted to bestow a daughter. Furious that he is saddled with an unwanted daughter, he wished that his daughter's life be full of hardships and humiliation, the gods granted his request and Princess Krishna was born. She was called Yagnaseni because she came from the yagna and Agnisuta as she is the daughter of fire. She is  named Draupadi as the daughter of Drupad and Panchali as Princess of Panchala kingdom. This invitation is for the swayamvara of that princess. Even though I had no intention of participating in the Swayamvara, my ministers urged me to attend, as there would be many kings in attendance and this will be a chance to meet all of them. So, I went to the kingdom of Kampilya. 

While, I was going to Kampilya, my thoughts turned to Pandavas. Events happened just like in the epic. After five years of ruling as Crown Prince, Prince Yudhishthir, Pandavas and Rajmatha Kunti went to Varnavrata and stayed for an year the lac palace before it burned down. Word has spread about the deaths of Pandavas. Meanwhile, King Drupad on suggestion of Lord Sri Krishna wanted to make Prince Arjuna his Son in law and use the bond to turn the beloved student against his teacher Drona. With the Pandavas hiding after the Varnavrata, this Swayamvara is used as a lure to bring them out as the contest is archery and Arjuna couldn't stop himself from competing. Moreover the bow used is Kindhura bow of Lord Indra and as his son the bow will not show resistance against Arjuna, but will fiercely resist any one other than Arjuna. Truly, the Karna in the epic is great, for whatever rendition you listen whether he succeeded in stringing the bow or failed by hair's breadth or humiliated and prevented from participating. To come even close to stringing a bow resisting him is noteworthy and if he was insulted, his restraint is admirable that he didn't try razing the Kampilya kingdom to ground. So many people may think he couldn't not do that or that Lord Sri Krishna will stop him or Arjuna will stop him. At the time, he still possessed his divine earrings and armour. He couldn't not be killed, he may have been defeated by the Lord Krishna or as some claim Arjuna (even though they are equal and battle may go either way),but before his defeat, he who has made the Pandava army flee the battle in Kurukshetra,would have destroyed Kampilya before he was stopped.