Chapter Thirty

Hey there readers! Happy Friday:-) So remember that new character I promised a few chapters back...Well you're about to meet him. Very interested to see what you think of Dresden Rearder. He's a bit of a game changer to the story...

--------------------------

Henry

Henry had been in his study since the early hours of the morning, poring over the mountain of documents that had accumulated on his desk over the last week. With the House of Lords in session, the palace was filled with various noble men who had come to court for the length of the planned meetings. The endless orations of various men begging for funds or favor had drained his strength, particularly in light of the fact that few were willing to leave matters of politics in the hall of assembly. The men continued to vie for Henry's attention throughout the numerous banquets held in their honor, scarcely giving him a moment to himself. The effort required to maintain a civil affect had made it difficult to focus on much else.

As his eyes rolled over the lengthy reports his advisors had left in the wake of the latest parliamentary session, Henry could feel the pain in his temples mounting. He could not remember the last night of slumber he had managed that was not plagued with anxiety and dark dreams. In spite of Cecil's assurances that the Empire was becoming more stable, Henry was far from convinced.

The reports that continued to grace his desk seemed less then promising. Erestia remained restless. Staring into the eyes of the many men who had come to the assembly in support of his crown, Henry could see only distrust. A lack of faith in his leadership and no small showing of greedy hunger as they stared at the crown upon his head. Some no doubt imagining how they might pry it from his hands.

While some were subtle in their quest to gain new status in Henry's court, there were others whose actions worried him. The Lords of both Russelford and Lemenster concerned Henry in particular. Both had owned a great deal of land and funds having gained favor under his father's reign. Though Cecil asserted that these men were loyal servants to the Crown, reports Henry read painted a very different picture.

Since Henry's coronation, they had begun the process of rehousing royal weapons stores within their own estates. While they claimed that it was fear of attack from the Vox Populi that motivated their actions, Henry was certain he could see the truth. They were arming for war against the throne. Cecil's mulish resistance to attack preemptively was difficult to abide.

The High Chancellor continued to cite the influential power of these men within court, the fact that there was no evidence that either one had any ill intent in their actions. He assured that both men merely sought to protect themselves. The threat the rebels presented was quite real after all. Henry knew that to be true. There was no question friends of the Crown were under attack.

Still, as much as he trusted the Chancellor's wisdom, the idea that any man, other than himself, might have a significant store of weaponry, money, and forces, made him exceedingly uneasy; particularly in reviewing reports that showed his own resources to be less than sound. Henry felt the pain in his head grow more pronounced as he read through a correspondence from the general of the tower guard requesting that he release a number of his standing army from service, citing the lack of funds to keep the men fed.

A knock came on the door to his study and his manservant went to answer. Henry looked up to see his chamberlain Joseph enter.

"Speak," Henry said, turning back to his work.

"Sire, Lord Dresden Rearder of Gifford wishes an audience with your Majesty."

Henry sighed. He had never been partial to dealings with Dresden Rearder. A descendant of the Percy family, his was one of the very few noble lines with ties to the Hapsbens that had survived Henry's ancestor's ascent to power.