Chapter Sixty-Two

New character coming and new character POV. Mina! I wonder what you will think of her...She has really played a peripheral role in the story until now, but I do have plans for her in the future ;-)

---------------

Mina Krin

When Fiona left she very rarely told Mina any details on her intended destination, plans, nor when she would return. But this behavior was expected. Since Mina was a mere ten years old the Nita would often disappear on an extended journey, leaving her student to care for herself. It was not at all uncommon for Fiona to be gone for many days at a time with no notice and so, when the Nita donned her traveling clothes and a pack over a week before, saying that she had business to attend, Mina was not at all surprised when she did not return. It was clear she might be gone for some time and there was no reason to dwell on how long.

Mina had her chores to keep her occupied. There were various herbs to collect, their cow to milk and feed, tonics to make for those who came seeking the Nita's healing. She had her books, the company of her cat, a stray that Mina had found wondering around the Nita's home and enticed to stay with  the occasional offering of a bowl of milk. Mina didn't mind spending time on her own. She rather enjoyed it. She had resigned herself to a life of solitude long ago. Perhaps, she realized, even before she had learned of her destiny.

It was already nearing dusk when Mina arrived back at the house, having spent the better part of the day foraging for mushrooms in the woods, but as she approached, she was surprised to see a figure standing by the door. The woman was dressed in gray and blue, colors that Mina recognized as those of the Initiate. She was instantly embarrassed. Working in the woods, she knew that she looked a frightful mess, her hair askew, her clothes and hands covered in earth. She was certainty in no condition to greet a messenger from Sithrah.

Though the Nita had taken Mina to the home of the Initiate once, to confirm her place as Fiona's successor, the woman at the door did not look familiar. One glance at the embroidered symbol on the upper right hand corner of her tunic however identified her as a priestess of rank. Mina did her best to brush off her skirts and smooth her hair as she approached her clearly important visitor.

"You must be Mina," the woman said when she caught sight of her. She was an older woman, with flaxen hair and kind eyes set in a rounded face.

Mina bowed to her guest. "At your service, priestess," she answered. "Please forgive my appearance. I was not expecting company."

The woman gave her a slight smile and nodded. "Of course, child. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Dara Wright, priestess of the holy Initiate of Sithrah, first order."

Mina tried to hide her surprise. A visit from one so high caught her off guard. She wondered what business the woman could possibly have outside of Sithrah. She knew the General Assembly was not for some time still, and Fiona had left no notice that any Initiate members might be coming to stay with them, or even visit their home. Besides, Nita Amoral had been gone now for well over a week, and Mina has no idea when she might come back.

"Forgive me, priestess," Mina said. "I'm afraid the Nita is away at present. I know not when she intends to return, but should you seek shelter under our roof you are of course welcome to stay here as long as you wish."

The woman smiled at her again, though the expression on her face was somber. "In fact, it is you, Mina Krin, who I came here to seek." Mina looked at her in confusion.

"Me?"

"Perhaps we could go inside?" the woman asked gently.

Mina was all at once embarrassed again. She was so flustered by the women's presence that she had forgotten her manners.