Chapter Fifty-Five

So the Chancellor has insisted Teren come and talk with him privately. What does Dresden Rearder have up his sleeve....This chapter may be on the wordier side and still need a bit of work. Trying to cut it to tighten/increase tension but I will be very curious to hear what you think about it.

-------------

Teren

When they reached the large wood door, Rearder held it open for him graciously and Teren had no choice but to enter the man's chambers. In spite of the tension he felt with Rearder blocking his only exit, Teren could not help but be impressed by his surroundings. 

The Chancellor's study was spacious, lavishly fitted with carved chestnut fixtures. Bookshelves lined the sides of the room, filled with leather bound tomes much like in the King's own chambers, though of course the scale of his collection was somewhat smaller. Behind a large wooden desk two picture windows looked out onto the palace gardens. 

Everything in the room was abnormally polished and clean. Rearder had a reputation for his fastidious nature and his chambers did not disappoint. The level of opulence the man possessed to furnish his apartments so royally was clear. That Henry allowed the man such accommodations within the palace walls was a clear nod to the Chancellor's status within the Empire.

"Please, take a seat," the Chancellor said. Teren obeyed, attempting to affect as much confidence as possible to mask the sense of foreboding building in his mind. The anger he had felt only moments before in the receiving hall seemed a distant memory, now sufficiently dampened enough for Teren to feel the full, frightening reality of the situation. He heard Rearder speaking to his man at the door.

"You may leave now, Mathew," he said. "Please see to it that we are not disturbed. I will except no interruption short of a request from his Majesty himself." Teren heard the man's assent and the creak before the door of the study closed with a heavy thud.

"Teren Mather," Rearder said, turning his attention back towards him. Teren watched the man closely as he crossed the room to sit across from him at the desk.

"I am glad to finally speak with you in private."

 Rearder leaned forward, elbows resting on his desk, his fingers steepled, leaning against his lips in thought. Teren stared at him trying desperately to imagine what the man might be plotting. The Chancellor had already implied that had the means to destroy him. If that was so, why did he not simply have him arrested? What could possibly be gained from their speaking now?

"I do hope we can be candid with each other," The Chancellor said after a moment. "I believe that there have been some misunderstandings between the two of us and I wish to rectify this. That is why I asked you here."

Teren was incredulous. "Forgive me, Chancellor, I do not remember responding to any sort of invitation at your behest."

Rearder smiled. "Ah, there it is," he said. "This is the sort of frank conversation I wish to have. Please, do not hold back." He paused. 

"I know you might have been unaware of my invitation, but I did take considerable pains to send it. I came myself to call on your wife this morning after all. I knew that you would not be able to avoid Salam palace after such visit."

"Yes," Teren agreed, working to keep his voice even, "it seems you were right. When a man threatens my home I can do nothing but act."

The Chancellor's smile did not abate. "Please, Commissioner, I did not intend my visit to be interpreted as a threat. Merely a call to motivate you to action."