CHAPTER X: Cara

"She'll be out in a sec," I heard Gary say as he sat on the seat across mine.

Minutes after the band's epic performance on the stage, Kendall saw Elizabeth on a nearby table, waiting and drinking alone with a lot of beer and food for the others.

I had no idea who invited who. The next thing I knew, we were transferred into a bigger table to fit us all. Taylor and Dakota also came with us.

Elizabeth stood up and smiled, "Excuse me."

I knew where she was going. She'd try to lift Sam's mood and convince her to join us.

I wouldn't force Sam if she doesn't want to. She has a lot in her mind right now. And I don't want to add to her worries.

But there Sam was, walking towards us with Elizabeth behind her, smiling as if nothing happened on the stage, pretending she wasn't broken when she was already in pieces.

"Hi," Sam acknowledged us as she sat in front of me. Gary moved further in to give her space. Her eyes were slightly red and puffy and she let her hair down, some strands covering her face, as if they could hide her from us. "Sorry about that."

I knew Sam meant about the finale but Kendall disregarded it. "Sorry about what? That was an outstanding show, Sam!"

All in the table agreed and congratulated her and the band. Sam really did amazing. The way her fingers magically shredded the guitar. Her remarkable voice booming the entire area. And her songs. It was pure talent and skills she had shown tonight. I couldn't beat that. I know she was in a band and I have to give credits to others. But when they performed on the stage, all I could see and hear was her, and everything else appeared nothing. She's pretty something. And it scares me because I'm starting to feel something for her.

They had now changed the topic and they talked about what happened last night. I heard something about Kylie and Charlie but I wasn't listening anymore. I stole some glances at Sam as she drank shots after shots of tequila or whatever it was she was offered to. She really does drink.

Then Elizabeth's voice rang inside my head. It was from a conversation we had earlier, when Sam was still not around.

"She used to date Rooney in secret," Elizabeth said sympathetically in a low voice. Not the best secret keeper in the world but I knew she was under the influence of alcohol to care. "For two years." She held her two fingers.

"Rooney? As in Rooney Mara?" Dakota asked, completely taken aback.

"I haven't heard of her," Kendall commented.

"She's the lead actress of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movie!" Dakota answered, scowling, as if it was a general knowledge we all should know about. "She's an Oscar nominee."

An actress. Rooney. All the things that I had doubted about Sam were all confirmed by Elizabeth without even asking. Sam was different.

"Rooney?" I asked. "I know her. She did the Pan film with me." But I didn't really know her personally. We had only interacted during premieres and although most people find me arrogant, I really thought that Rooney was more arrogant than me.

"Wow," Taylor said. "Two years. Secretly."

Eric laughed behind Kendall as he uttered, "She was flying from New York to LA for months. I'd always ask her if she'd get tired for that but she said she wouldn't."

"But what happened?" I keenly asked. Kendall looked at my sudden interest with a small smirk but I ignored her.

"They had this fight about Rooney's busy career and how Sam was getting a bit jealous about it," Elizabeth explained. "But not in the way like Sam's jealous because Rooney's famous and all. No, not that way. You see, Sam wanted it to be a secret no more. But Rooney thought it would give her bad credits."