CHAPTER XXIII: Cara

A slight stab in the head struck me the moment I woke up.

I have totally wasted myself last night. Last thing I remembered was talking to Rooney and figuring out that she and Sam got back together. And I was incredibly gutted, I drank to forget. For a while, I supposed.

A movement on my right corner surprised the hell out of me. A foot came into view. Then a face with strands of hair covering it. Sam.

What is she doing in my room? I couldn't remember what happened last night. Why is she sleeping on the couch? Why is she not on the bed with me?

Sam was still sleeping peacefully. Thankfully, the couch was big enough for someone to sleep. I slid off my bed and went closer to her.

God, she looked so fucking gorgeous. My angel. Or used to be. Now, she's Rooney's again. If only I didn't let her go. If only I took the risk and didn't leave her that day after we made love.

I stared at her for too long, Sam suddenly stirred. I immediately went to the loo to take a bath because I reeked of alcohol and bad breath.

When I finished taking a shower, Sam was no longer on the couch. I looked for her in the living room and I saw her rummaging something inside her bag.

"Hey," I said. Sam looked at me and I could see her flushed cheeks. Then it dawned on me that I was only wrapped in my towel.

"Hi," Sam greeted back. Then she quickly looked down back to her bag.

"I... I couldn't remember what happened last night...," I began.

Sam chuckled. "You were uncontrollable."

"I am?" I missed her laughter. Her sweet voice.

"You were like a child. You were drunk as hell and stubborn as well," Sam said, as she glared at me like crazy.

I laughed then I went back to get some clothes inside my cabinet without closing the bedroom door so that I could still talk to Sam.

"Hey, at least now, we're even," I said, remembering that first night we made out.

"Yeah, I figure you're going to say that, but I think I wasn't that stubborn as you were last night."

I laughed again. She laughed back. I miss this.

When I had finally changed into some fresh clothes, Sam was already standing up with her bag on her shoulder.

"You're leaving already?" I asked. Why? Because of Rooney?

"Yeah, I... I have to," Sam replied nervously.

"Well, at least, let me invite you for a coffee, then," I insisted. Without waiting for her reply, I went to the kitchen and prepared two mugs.

Then I flashed her the box of coffee I ordered.

"Oh, I remember," Sam uttered. Then she slowly went towards me, placing her bag on the couch. "A cup of coffee can't hurt."

I smiled as she sat on the stool near me. I began boiling the water in the kettle. And as we waited through the awkward silence, Sam suddenly spoke.

"Rooney visited me after Halloween," she said.

I turned my back to avoid her look. I was totally aware she was with Rooney the entire week. But she had no idea.

"Really? What happened?" I asked, acting all cool and worried at the same time, like it was all fresh news to me.

"She...uh... stayed at my place for a few days...," Sam answered.

My heart broke down into millions of pieces. I should control my emotions. I had no right to be jealous.