CHAPTER XXIV: Cara

One week had passed after that Sunday date we had.

I could still remember it like it was just yesterday. After that drive-out to Clifftown, we went back to her apartment and watched Titanic. We ordered Chinese food on the way home.

The film was amazing. I had no idea that the ending could bring me to tears. I always thought it would have that cliche story. The movie spoke of how unfair and indiscriminating life was to poor people. And I also got frustrated as well. People forget equality at peril times.

Sam must had been looking at my expression through the entire film.

We finished the film by 11pm. There was that awkward silence again. Then Sam invited me to sleep over for the night. So we shared the bed. Her bed. But there was that noticeable gap between us. We were both lying down in the darkness, staring at the ceiling in silence.

I wanted to ask Sam everything. I wanted to say something to her. That I love her. That I need her. That I want her. But I was scared.

I could feel Sam's hand crept under the blanket as it held mine. I held her back. I could get used to this. Take it slow. Let it sink in. There's no need to rush. I must have smiled. Then she whispered good night. And I said it back.

The next morning, Sam's head was on my shoulder, just near my chest. And my arm was enclosing her.

I could literally breathe in how good her hair still smelled. I miss this. I miss her. She was still sleeping very peacefully. And I don't know if we would ever want to wake up anymore. I wanted to be lazy with her.

It was a Monday though. And we both had something to do later that day. So we had to get up and part ways.

We literally texted each other every single day. Like the most random topic of all to the least one. Sam was finalizing a short film they shot for Christmas. I was on a photoshoot that was rescheduled due to my psoriasis. I guessed what I really needed was a night out with Sam to destress.

Most of the people at work noticed I was in a different mood. Like they already knew I was a mad person. But that time, they said I was insane but by myself. Who wouldn't notice anyway? I was literally smiling like an idiot whenever Sam texted me funny stuff. Sometimes, I would laugh. And people around me must have been wondering if I'm in love. I am. I have completely fallen in love, even more in love, with Sam. And I don't think anyone or anything can stop me now.

We called every night. We probably missed each one's voice. Sam was staying overnight since they needed to submit the finished short film for the producers' review the next day.

"It's 11:45pm. You need to get some rest, Sam," I said through the speakers.

I heard her chuckle from the other line. "You know how it is every time we rewatch the video. There's always something that could change the producers' mind. And we need to edit that before they see it."

"I'm sure it's going to be great."

"You're being nice.... That's unusual."

I laughed. "C'mon. You know I'm not that mean."

There was a pause when she chuckled. "I know."

Then I fell silent, listening to her inhale and exhale from the other line.

"Are you sleepy?" Sam asked.

I smiled. "No."

Then there was another silence again. And then I muttered, "I missed you."

I missed you. What are you doing, Car? Are you this stupid? Are you forgetting that maybe Sam doesn't feel that way? And rejection is not really what you need this time.