CHAPTER XXI: Samantha

When I arrived at the restaurant where Rooney told me we'd talk, she was already there, waiting. She was wearing her black sunglasses and blue denim jacket over a navy blue shirt. Her hair wasn't tied in a ponytail, which seemed weird because if she's outside, she'd always do her hair like that since it gets in her way. I wondered if she was doing this on purpose because she remembered how I liked it when she puts her hair down.

"Hey," I began as I sat in front of her. No friendly kiss or hug, just a greeting.

Rooney took off her sunglasses and I could perfectly see her green orb-like eyes I used to love smiling back at me. Her dimples were showing as she grinned from ear to ear.

"Hi," Rooney said back.

I smiled. "What are we having? I'm starving," I said, trying to sound like nothing happened over the past few months. I was never really good at serious conversations like this. I wanted to reconcile to people. It's just that the process of it was excruciating. If only I could fast forward from that.

When the food we ordered had arrived, we started eating.

"Still a vegan, huh?" I joked, looking at the salad on Rooney's plate.

Rooney seemed surprised. "If you want me to eat something else, I would."

"I was joking," I immediately uttered. "Smile a li'l bit."

I didn't know if it was me but I thought I saw her blush.

"You seem a bit different today," Rooney said as she drank her water.

"Mmm?" I looked at her, smirking. "Different in what way?"

I saw Rooney shake her head. Then she licked her lips nervously. And coughed.

Oh no. Whenever she coughed, she'd start talking about serious topics. And I knew what she'd start on.

"I missed you," Rooney said as she looked at me. I could see longing in her eyes. God, I used to admire those. But why can't I get myself to right now?

I avoided her gaze and focused on the food served before me.

"Please say something," Rooney continued.

"I don't know what to say."

Rooney sighed. "I know I hurt you too much. I... I just want to let you know I didn't call the cops on you."

I glared at her, slightly shocked. "What?"

"It was Emma. I was acting all weird and scared at the time, I didn't know what to do when you kept on banging at the door."

Emma. Her best friend. "So you just let her call the cops on me?"

"I didn't know what I was thinking back then. I... I was lost. I was depressed. I was clearly not myself. ."

I sighed as I swallowed a piece of chicken.

"...I'm incredibly sorry, Sam. ."

I know I should be mad. But, somehow, it didn't matter anymore.

"It's okay, Roon," I said, surprising her. "It's like months ago."

Rooney swallowed a lump in her throat. "I didn't get back with Charlie, just so you know."

"Why are you saying that?"

"Kate told me you thought we got back together."

Kate.

"Charlie just offered to do some errands I had back home and, you know how paparazzis are nowadays."

Yes. I know.