CHAPTER XXVIII: Cara

I went to Sam's apartment to surprise her. The photoshoot I modeled in finished earlier than expected.

When I arrived at her apartment, she wasn't there so I waited. I decided to cook dinner for her from the recipe I learned from my bestfriend Jourdan. Luckily, I found all the ingredients in Sam's kitchen.

It was almost 10pm when Sam got home. She was completely taken aback when she got inside her apartment, seeing me behind an apron and a prepared candle-lit dinner.

"Cara, you're here," Sam gasped in utter surprise.

I grinned from ear to ear while shaking my hands, "Surprise..."

Sam smiled but I could tell it was forced. I ignored it as she commented, "You cooked dinner?"

"Yeah," I said, as I leaned back to show her what I cooked. "It's Shrimp Tempura.... Jourdan taught me how to cook this years ago... It's really unbelievable that I can still remember how to cook it."

Sam smiled sweetly but I could tell something's bothering inside of her. "That's so amazing of you, Car."

I pulled her hand as I led her straight to sit. God, how much I have missed her. I tried to control my emotions as I proceeded to sit on a chair across her.

"Enjoy," I said as I watched her eat.

"This is.... amazing," Sam said slowly as she chew on the shrimps. There was something different about her tonight. And I had no idea what.

"Oh God, is it awful?"

Sam immediately shook her head, taken aback. "No, no, of course not, this is really great. I didn't know you could cook."

I broke into laughter as I drank the juice before us. She followed my suit. But I think she was trying her best to laugh.

Then we talked about the photoshoot I had and that I met Amber Heard on the way home. Sam then talked about the short film they were making. But she seemed off and I didn't know why.

When we finished dinner, Sam offered to do the dishes. Whilst she was at it, my arms slithered around her body from behind, hugging her.

"I missed you," I murmured against her back, breathing her scent in. I really missed her. There weren't any day or night that I didn't think about Sam.

Sam stopped washing the dishes as she held my arms back. Then she craned her head to kiss me. And I realized how much I have missed her mouth more.

We made love that night. But it wasn't like it was before. Sam seemed different. There was definitely something off about her. But I shook the thought away from my head as I stared at her as she slept. She must be just tired. And then I gave in to sleep beside her.

I woke up around 5am when I thought I heard someone mutter. I ignored it then Sam stirred from her sleep as she muttered something I never thought she would. Her name. Rooney.

Then Sam drifted back to sleep. I couldn't go back. Not when my mind went off wondering why she murmured Rooney's name in her sleep. Could it be some dream? Could it be something else?

I shook my head as I stared at the ceiling before me. I shouldn't get jealous. But my stomach tightened and I had no idea how to control it. Sam was here with me in reality. But maybe in dreams, she still wanted to be with Rooney. Could it be possible that Sam misses her? Was it the reason she's not herself last night?

I was really bothered even when the sun's rays finally brightened the entire room.

"I'm taking a shower," Sam said. "Would you like to join me?"