Layers Beneath

Days are passing slow and sore, I don't talk to anybody but Ameena. I couldn't gather the courage to accept or confess my insecurity about Fauzia,or rather I say I might be jealous.

I seldom am presenting myself anywhere to he exists. Though we have had formal conversation which holds nothing of any interest or rate merits us farther than brother-sister.

I had my day's talk with Ameena and isolated myself from all and escaped in the back lawn. At the stairs was Aabish alone sitting in complete solitude.

He saw me coming and patted at his side,I sat close and waited til he completed his conversation in phone.

"Hey... All alone?"
I asked once he kept aside his phone and stared at the sky.

"Hunn...um.. I'm not the only one though who's feeling off these days huh?" He said saving his sight from me.

I laughed choking at my throat with all these feelings coming up,I resisted and just plainly stared him and plastered a fake smile.

"Who were you talking to?" He asked in a whisper.

"Who were YOU talking to!?" I pressured.

"Best friend" he confidently answered.

"You won't have to accuse me of copying your answer if I said the same" I said looking into his grey speckled eyes.

"I trust you, what's her name?"

"Ameena,she the greatest human being ever"

"I am also a great human being if you remove my last name because all the evil in me comes from my last name"
He said,I laughed. He's funny but comfortable to talk.

I heard mum call my name and I stood up to leave.

"Mahnoor" he called my name. I looked at him and he smiled.

"It's alright, I you have a temporary vacancy for a best friend I'd like to apply"

I smiled back,I never knew we could get along. His savage compositions scared me of him. I never talked because I never wanted to be a target of his parodies,he is not that bad,not bad at all.

I left smiling all the way,this was needed more than I was yearning for.

The next day we finally are going to see that mysteriously hidden pond which were have been dying to visit since days,unfortunately whenever to plan a trip due to some reason we have to cancel it.

But today has convinced everybody.

I was in my room getting ready. Setting aside all the mess Masirah has made and waiting for a call of name from the hall.

"Do you read all these books?" Burhan's voice stopped my heart.

"Yes" I answered nervously.

"Novels, biopics, stories... Interesting. What fun to excite oneself in fancying herself as protagonist and living her life? Don't have yours?"he said with his eyebrows both exclaiming a remark so offending to me.

"Not all. In fact I find it amusing when people celebrate a victory and emotions of despair when they fail to reach a mark in a video game. The expression when the car crashes and proudly showing off medals they don't own, don't have guts to actually carry out tasks in reality?" I answered in a frown. He laughed.

"I'm glad you finally have returned to yourself. Shall we go then" he said and turned away from the room.

Sh*t! What did I just say!

I joined the bus,where I felt I was continuously smiled at.
It is making me conscious and nervous.

I sat with Mehreen where the third seat by Aabish was exchanged with Burhan.