Chapter Two

A/N: After going through to edit I realised I missed an important chapter and mislabled the rest so now it's fixed, sorry bout that!

**********

"What are we? Humans? Or animals? Or savages?"
― William Golding, Lord of the Flies

 "What are we? Humans? Or animals? Or savages?"     ―     William Golding, Lord of the Flies

**********

"Good morning class! I know its 9am Monday morning, but some smiles would help, you know?" my history teacher, Mr. Hartley beamed about the less than enthusiastic room of students, most of which had their eyes drooping closed, heads on arms on desks. A few in the back could be heard chatting quietly away. Then there was me. A week had passed since my step-dad lashed out at me, he graciously avoided the the house completely, to which I was grateful as it gave me time to heal and get my head on straight for my last year of high school, which was promising to be difficult already, and we were only one week into it. I wasn't the top student, nor was I noticeable. Average, and nearly invisible. Don't get me wrong, I got pretty good grades, just not the best. I wasn't part of any groups or teams. But I enjoyed learning, especially history. It fascinated me, so I sat, tucked away to the side of the classroom, notebook and pen already out.

Mr Hartley sighed, getting the picture that no one would be bright eyed and bushy tailed this early in the morning, turning to the white board.

"Right then. Our first project of the year, now that you've had a week to settle back down, will be Scottish History!"

There was collective groans throughout the room, a few people muttering their dislike of the choice under their breaths. I let out a huff myself. I wanted to learn about the wars, the pyramids, world history, not the history of my own home. It just didn't seem as exciting.

Just as I bent my head to scribble the project title at the top of my page, there was a knock at the door and another student stepped through.

"Ah! Good Morning Miss Scarlette! How may I help you this morning?" Mr Hartley beamed at the tall girl. She was the top student of the school, with grades near the top of the Scottish school board. It certainly was impressive how smart the girl was.

"Morning Mr Hartley! Mr. Rossi asked if Willow Nighting-Gale could come see him right away." She stated plainly.

A chorus of 'Oohs!' radiated through the room, as my fellow students no doubt tried to think how much trouble had been caused, as those around peered at me with new interest as I tried to suppress the blood quickly rushing up to my cheeks.

"Very well, Miss Scarlette, you may go back to headgirl duties and I'll send Miss Nighting-Gale over now." Emma Scarlette nodded and left as I packed my stuff back into my backpack quickly and walked towards the front of the class, keenly aware of my whispering class mates trying to figure our why I was being called from class this early in the morning, only a week into the new school year.