Chapter FourtyFour

"It must be very fragile, if a handful of berries can bring it down."
― Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire

"	― Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire

The next day I shoved Seth out of his room, warning him that he better not disturb me before dragging out all my art supplies and turning on a long playlist on the iPod dock. Seth had made up a list of all the songs I liked for whenever I wanted to just chill with music, and I was grateful to him for that, like so much else.

I dove straight into sketching out different designs, every idea that came into my head for the new house, I put onto paper. It wasn't long before I was surrounded in lots of different sketches, some with colour and others just rough outlines.

A knocking at the door drew me from my current design of what I wanted to do with one of the bedrooms. I called out for them to come in, expecting Seth or even Jasper to come in. Instead, the door silently opened and Nate peeked his head in, glancing around until he spotted me on the floor surrounded by paper and pencils. Stepping in, he closes the door behind him silently before coming to sit beside me, picking up some of the papers and looking at them.

"Ah, so he finally told you?" He glanced up at me a moment before looking back at my designs.

"More like showed me. He took me up and didn't tell me, had me trying to guess." Nate shakes his head with a chuckle, muttering a 'typical' under his breath.

"These are really awesome!" He smiles, flicking through a few more designs. I nod, looking down in embarrassment as Nate picks up another of my sketchbooks and begins to look through it.

From the corner of my eye I see him freezing, eyes glazed as he stares down at the book. I crane my neck to see which drawing he's looking at, and see one I done about a year ago of Faith. She was sitting on a blanket with a book in her hand and I had decided it would make a nice sketch, which turned into a full coloured drawing.

"She was always beautiful wasn't she?" He whispered, fingers tracing the drawing. I nodded silently.

"I miss her." His voice cracked a little with the small statement, eyes watery.

"Me too." I agreed, looking down. Placing down my pencil, I draw my knees up to my chest, my own eyes watering. I heard shuffling before I felt Nates warm body pressing against my side, his arm round me. I laid my head on his shoulder, feeling him tremble slightly beside me. Peeking up, I see that tears are rolling down his cheeks, even as he tried to smile down at me. I felt my heart breaking all over again in my chest as the pain stabbed at me once more. I thought about how she must have felt, forced into an abortion. I now understood the overwhelming want to be by her unborn baby, as I too had the same feelings. The difference was, Faith didn't have anyone to help her. I would have done everything I could have if only she had told me, and I didn't doubt that Nate would have too. I however had Seth, Jasper, Gramps and other friends.