Chapter ThirtyNine

"I don't know if you've ever noticed this, but first impressions are often entirely wrong."
― Lemony Snicket, The Bad Beginning

Jasper P.O.V

After a rather long feeling morning, I was finally on my way to meeting with Mr. Walker. I had been unable to get more sleep this morning and had instead opted for going to a 24 hour gym and working out my frustrations there.

But even that wasn't enough to calm my nerves as I stepped into the homey looking pub. It was quiet, only a few people around with drinks. It was only half 12 after all. There was a guy standing behind the counter, flicking through his phone bored. He looked up after I approached the counter, shoving his phone away and smiling at me.

"Afternoon sir, what can I do for ya?"

"I'm here to speak to Mr. Walker." He raised his eyebrows at me, looking me over.

"Why?" I huff, not wanting to tell this idiot anything.

"It's private. Is he here or not." I was starting to feel impatient. He huffs a little before muttering 'just a moment' and disappeared through a door behind him. I look about at what the bar has to offer when I catch sight of a small cork board, filled with pictures of people in the staff uniform. There was only 5 different people between all the photos in the uniform. One was Willow, who was hard to miss with her bright hair. She was in the majority of the images. And beside her in a lot of them was the guy who was serving me today. Then there was another guy and girl, but nothing really stuck out about them and they were in hardly in any of the photos. And in a few was Mr. Walker, smiling with his employees.

"Ahh. You I recognise." I'm drawn from the photos to the man himself standing on the other side of the counter.

"I believe we never got introduced when we met. If you would, follow me to my office." He gestured to the side where I could lift the counter. I made my way round quickly and following him through the back door, ignoring the look of the bar guy as I passed.

Once in his office he gestures to a chair before rounding his desk and sitting himself, clasping his hand on the desk in front of him.

"So boy. What do I owe the pleasure. Marcus usually sends Greg with messages to me, and occasionally Seth comes himself, but usually only concerns my hard little worker." He smiles fondly, glancing over at a photo of all of the staff in front of the Bar, Willow standing front and centre and still smaller than everyone else.

"Any way. What was your name boy?" He smiled happily, sitting straighter.

"Jasper sir." I answer politely. I may be suspicious but he was still my elder and I had been raised with manners.