Chapter 12 - Girls Night Out

MacKenzie's POV

"Which is why you wanted to leave tonight?" I hear Iris's voice say. I walk into the room and see Caitlin sitting there, all banged up and bruised. "And why it took you six months to come back?"

"When Cisco said he was gonna get Barry back from the Speed Force, I thought that maybe I could come back and make up for some of the pain that I caused, but she's getting stronger." Caitlin says. "I never should've come back."

"Don't say that." I say, walking over to the two. "You belong here."

"Mack..." Caitlin says, grabbing my hands and pulling me into her chest. "Iris told me what Killer Frost said. You know that's not true, right?"

"Yeah, but..." I pull myself away from her. "Are you going to adopt me?"

Caitlin is silent.

"Maybe Frost wasn't that wrong." I say, dropping my head.

Caitlin grabs my arm when I try to leave

"Hey, wait, that's not fair." Caitlin says.

"No. It's not fair that you're making me wait forever to find out if I can get adopted. I'm gonna be able to be emancipated before you make a decision. I'm gonna be 18 before you guys -- " I say

"Barry and I are getting the paperwork." Caitlin says cutting me off

"What?" I ask.

"It was supposed to be a surprise." Caitlin says.

"I'm getting adopted?" I ask in a whisper.

"We're going to try, but I can't promise anything." Caitlin says.

"That's okay." I tell her. "I'll take trying any day." I hug her. "And you really do belong here, you always have." I sit on her lap, leaning my back against her chest.

"Yeah, Caitlin, you can always come back to your friends." Iris says. "Why didn't you tell any of us?"

"I didn't know who to talk to." Caitlin says, wrapping her arms around me.

"You could've talked to me." Iris says. "I'm your friend, Caitlin."

"Work friend." Caitlin says. "I mean, it's not like you and I have become besties over the last few years."

"Yeah, I guess we haven't." Iris says.

***

"These tears are more than just water." Felicity says, analyzing the tear in the cortex. "When ingested, the dark matter inside it alters the brain function like that of a psychoactive drug."

"So it's like, what, an opioid?" Iris asks.

"It's like a love drug." Felicity says. "From tears."

"If this spreads, Central City's gonna have a massive drug problem on its hands." Cecile says.

"Oh, yeah." Felicity agrees.

"Okay, well, we need to stop Amunet and save The Weeper before that happens." Iris says.

"How do we find her?" Cecile asks Caitlin.

"I don't know." Caitlin says. "She's smart. Off the grid, always on the move, vever leaves a trail."

"Okay, well, what about her powers?" Iris asks. "The metal that she controls. Do you know what it is?"

"Some kind of alnico alloy." Caitlin says.

"Do you think you could use our satellites to track it?" Iris asks Felicity.

"You mean run a geological scan of the city for small-scale signatures of aluminum, nickel, and cobalt?" Felicity asks. "Girl, please."