Chapter Thirteen

I was fuming, punching a number into my phone, dialing it.

"Dad, did you take my money in my savings?"

My dad wasn't even finished saying hello as I cut him. My anger was boiling inside. All I saw was red, red, and red.

Yet, weirdly enough, my eyeballs sting. Very much when I heard from the other side of the line a long, annoyed, half-asleep sigh.

"Do you even know what time is it that you're calling?"

I furrowed my eyebrows and glanced around the zoo for something that could indicate the time.

A clock attached to the zoo map points at 10:45.

"It's a quarter to eleven in the morning. Why?" I snapped.

"Exactly," he replied. "Why are you calling me this early in the morning?"

"It's Monday. You should be working!" I flailed my free arm around.

I was so close to screaming at him had I wasn't in a public place.

"Exactly that." He points out. "It's Monday, why would you be in the zoo?"

I caught my breath at his words, but quickly regained my composure.

"That's none of your business. Why aren't you at your job? You're supposed to be working! Aren't you the one who took my money in my savings?"

"Hey, chill, cubs. You didn't have to yell. You're hurting my old ear, ya know." He snorted, I could imagine his expression mocking me. As if saying that, I am being too dramatic over everything right now.

"Stop circling around and just answer me. I don't have time to play with your games."

"Fine, fine, you don't have to act like a bitch just because of this little thing. Do you want to know why I'm at home instead of working on this beautiful Monday? Well, it's because I quit. Satisfied?"

"You what?" I choke on my breath, suddenly feeling dizzy under the blaring sun.

"I said, I quit. What? Did you suddenly go deaf already?"

My knees buckled as I leaned at the closest thing that I could find. Cold, hard, metal pressed on my back as I tried to control my breath.

Take a deep breath, Harriet.

I slowly opened my eyes, trying to act strong, at the very least make my voice sound strong.

"What about Carolyn?" I paused. "Did you properly feed her?"

"Carol? Ah, you mean Athasha's child?" He snorted again. I was fisting the hem of my clothes, trying to stop myself from slamming my phone to the ground in anger.

"She's with her grandma. Kept crying like a stupid shit for a few weeks after you left, so Athasha and I thought that it might be best to let her experience new things and meet new people with her granny."

I let out a silent sigh, not realizing that I had been holding my breath the entire time. My chest hurt with worry about my step-sister.

"Anyway, is that all you've gotta say? Cause I certainly ain't wasting any more time listening to your sermon."

"I asked you before whether you touched my savings or not." I snapped.

"Whoa, you have savings? You should've told me, so we can spend it together." He chuckled.