Thirty

3rd person POV:

Elijah, Amelia and Klaus are discussing their current predicament while the two hybrids watch as Elijah looks through an old book about witches throughout the ages.

"The Italians call them strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them häxa, and here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina," Elijah said. 

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection. Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil, according to our volatile artist in residence," Klaus said.

"Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over two hundred years. I don't understand. Why all these sketches now?" Elijah asked, sitting down trying to piece the puzzle together that had presented itself to the group.

"Why does any witch do anything?" Klaus asked. Amelia was about to say something, but a crash was heard upstairs from Davina's room. 

"Well, that's going well," Klaus said, smirking nonchalantly.

"If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea," Elijah remarked. 

"Oh. Are there any more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?" Klaus asked.

"Give me a month. I'll get you list," Elijah said sarcastically. Klaus chuckled and another crash was heard.

"Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass," Klaus commented. Amelia glared at him, and shook her head at the irony. He stood up and stormed off, Amelia rolled her eyes and followed. 

"What's with all the racket?" Klaus asks when he comes in the room. A second later Amelia joins him. Both stop in their tracks when they see Davina still throwing up soil.

"Bloody hell," Amelia muttered, pinching the bridge of her nose. The building starts shaking as an earthquake starts and Amelia looks around in confusion. Her, Marcel, and Klaus run out to the balcony, overlooking the courtyard, to see Elijah and Hayley across from them also confused about the situation. Rebekah was down in the courtyard looking around at the scrambling vampires and then looked up at them. 

"What the hell is going on?" Rebekah asked. 

"Davina," Klaus said grimly. 

***

"This is madness. How can a 16-year-old girl shake the entire French quarter?" Klaus asks. Amelia, Marcel, Elijah, and Klaus were now in the living room, while Rebekah was checking on Davina upstairs. Hayley retreated up to her room and when Amelia offered to come with, she said she was taking a nap. 

"I've seen her rock the church, but I've never seen anything like this," Marcel responded, pacing.

"How did you control her when she was in the attic?" Klaus asked. 

"I didn't have to. But then, I never killed her boyfriend," Marcel said spitefully.

"Yes, yes. We've been over this part already. The point is in her present state she's useless as a tool against the witches," Klaus said. Amelia and Elijah exchanged an exasperated glance, and both rolled their eyes. 

"She's not a tool, something's wrong with her," Marcel said.

"She has too much power that she cannot control. That much we already knew. But why is it manifesting itself in such an aggressive manner?" Elijah asked, thinking aloud. Amelia suddenly got an idea, she may be a witch but she was far out of practice. They needed someone else. She went to walk off when Klaus stopped her.

"Where are you going?" Klaus asked.

"This is witch business. Let's ask a witch," Amelia said shrugging, and then walked out to find Sophie Deveraux.

"Amelia, let me go get her. You need to stay here and keep Klaus from doing something rash," Elijah said following after her. 

"Seriously? Why can't you do it?" Amelia asked. 

"Because he listens to you more than he listens to me," Elijah said. 

"Fine, but if you're gone to long I'm coming to find you," Amelia told him. Elijah smiled and they hugged before she turned around and made her way back into the living room. Klaus and Marcel gave her confused looks and she crossed her arms and scowled as she leaned against a bookshelf. "Elijah is an worrying, overprotective, bitch." 

***

Elijah had just returned with Sophie, who was now observing the picture of Celeste that was laying on the table.

"So you have stolen the remains of the very person that Davina's been drawing for months. Would you care to explain this startling coincidence?" Elijah asked.

"I can't. I didn't even know who Celeste Dubois was until I--" Sophie was cut off by another one of Davina's earthquakes. Sophie looked extremely alarmed, but the four Originals just seemed minorly annoyed. "Was that Davina?"

"Charming little habit she's developed," Klaus answered.

"And the earthquake I felt today?" Sophie asked.

"Also Davina. And, she's taken to vomiting dirt," Amelia told her.

"Oh. We have a huge problem. I thought that we had more time, but we need to complete the Harvest now," Sophie panicked. 

"Said the desperate witch, conveniently," Klaus said smirking, and taking another sip of his drink. 

"I'm serious! That earthquake you just felt is a preview of the disaster movie that is about to hit us," Sophie warned. 

"Why should we believe you?" Elijah asked.

"You've met Davina, you know her story. For months now, she's been holding all the power of the three girls sacrificed in the Harvest ritual. A force that was meant to flow through her and back into the earth. One person was never meant to hold that much power. It's tearing her apart, and it will take us down with it," Sophie told them grimly. Amelia exchanged glances with the others, all of them seeming to understand that today was not going to be a very fun day.

***

"The last stage is fire, and since it's the last, it will be by far the worst," Sophie told the room. Klaus was out talking to Father Kieran, and Rebekah was with Davina, both on board with what Sophie was saying. However, Elijah, Marcel, and herself weren't quite bought in yet. 

"You've convinced my siblings. You have yet to convince us," Elijah told the witch.

"We don't have time to waste. The first signs already come and gone," Sophie protested .

"So fix her!" Marcel said. The worry was evident in his voice, so Amelia put a hand on his shoulder and transferred a bit of calming energy into him. A trick she had picked up as a witch back when she was also still human. 

"She can't be fixed," Sophie told him. "She can't be saved. This will not stop at the earth sign, and if you wait it out, you immortals will be the only ones left to argue about it." A strong wind starts blowing through the quarter and the windows of the compound start slamming open and closed. Amelia, Elijah, and Marcel all look around grimly, knowing that the witch wasn't lying.

"Convinced now?"

I know, I know, I apologize. Kinda a short chapter, but due to this whole quarantine situation I'm home for the next three weeks so I will be updating quite a bit. Also thank you guys SOOO much for 10.5K reads. I am so beyond thankful, and I really hope you enjoy my story. Let me know if you want me to create playlist or aesthetics for any of the characters. Again, thank you so much.