The Battle

(Image not mine)

EDMUND'S POV

Per Peter's command, we had moved everyone in Aslan's camp to the battlefield across the river. The entire army was either perched on the rocks of the cliff or gathered in the field below, waiting for the Witch's forces to arrive. Peter was atop his white unicorn next to Oreuis at the front of the formation, clad in full battle armor with Aslan's symbol, just like Y/n and I. I looked over at her, she was standing on top of the cliff with me, eyes hardened as she looked down at the soldiers. Her hair swayed gently in the wind and I'm not sure why she didn't put it up, it seemed like an annoyance to fight with hair in your face.

I tore my eyes away and focused on the griffin that was returning from scouting. It soared in front of me and Y/n before landing next to Peter. After saying something I couldn't hear, the three of them faced forward in anticipation. The animals in the front row growled and barked.

"Look," Y/n pointed to the tip of a small hill at the edge of the battlefield.

I squinted my eyes and saw the head of a black minotaur appearing from behind the hill. It walked till it stood on top of a flat rock and roared while hefting its ax in the air. Just as it did, an army that stretched across the field came into view. Oh, Aslan, we were outnumbered. Thousands of creatures roaring and snarling as they stomped forwards, some I had never seen before. There were giants and hags and furies and ugly pig-like men. I sucked in a breath as I saw two polar bears pulling a cart with the Witch herself holding the reins.

"Is she wearing-"

"Aslan's mane," I confirmed. That disgusting woman.

I looked down at Peter for his reaction and met his eyes. He looked genuinely worried but I tried to give him a reassuring nod. He pursed his lips and faced forward, pulling out his golden sword and holding it into the air. Horns sounded while the centaurs raised their spear-tipped flagpoles and the soldiers erupted in cheers and battle cries. The other side responded with roars and screams of their own and charged forward.

"Here we go," Y/n whispered and clutched her pipes. I pulled out my sword.

We watched as Peter slashed his sword down, signaling for our forces to begin carrying out the plan. Dozens of griffins launched into the sky, each carrying a large rock and soared to the other side. Before the Witch's army could react, the griffins dropped the rocks onto their heads, each one taking out at least five soldiers. Amongst the screaming, a few enemy arches shot down a couple of griffins but only did more damage as their bodies crushed more creatures. The rest of the griffins screeched and looped around to fly back to cliffs just as Peter raised his sword again.

"For Narnia!" He screamed, "And for Aslan!"

He and Oreius charged forward, the row of centaurs galloping behind them. The rest of the Narnians screamed battle cries as they followed closely behind, thair heavy armor clanking as they ran. I watched the organized triangle that was our forces quickly closing the distance between them and the blob of the Witch's forces. The centaurs lowered their spears at the enemy as the leopards sprinted forward, a few of the opposite side's faster creatures coming to meet them. Time seemed to slow down in the few moments before they collided and I could hear their shrieks as they tackled each other.

I winced as Peter and the others plowed through enemy lines, slashing and stabbing anyone who came close. Tons of soldiers on both sides were killed or trampled before Peter halted in place. The Witch was leading the other half of her forces on her cart straight towards Peter so I decided it was time to send in my squad.

"Now, Y/n!" I shouted.

She held her pipes up to her lips and blew a harsh and shrill note, sending shivers down my spine. A stream of light shot out forming a bird that promptly burst into flames as it dived towards the field. The phoenix glided across the grass between the new wave of monsters and our forces, separating them with a wall of roaring fire.