thirteen

one month later...

"Um where you been?" Nevaeh asked, getting in Zylin's truck. He was just five minutes late picking her up from school and Nevaeh swore up and down that he forgot about her.

"Um don't worry about it." Zylin replied, waiting to hear the seat buckle click so that he could pull off. Once he did, he started rubbing his beard thinking back to the phone call that he got earlier from Nevaeh's teacher.

"How was school?" He asked, glancing in the rearview mirror to see her facial expressions.

Nevaeh made the yikes expressions but quickly replaced it with a smile. "Good. I did good today." She nodded, holding her bookbag in her lap tightly.

Zylin scoffed and sat up in his seat now driving with one arm. He looked in the mirror again to see Nevaeh looking out the window without a care in the world.

"Daddy can we get happy meal?" She asked.

Zylin ignored her and turned the radio on to a random station. Whenever he started ignoring Nevaeh, it always hurt her feelings but right now he didn't care.

Nevaeh had cheer practice today so she wouldn't be home until later, so he had to handle the situation right then and there. Pulling into a store parking lot, he parked the car and turned the radio off.

"Give me your folder dooda." Zylin stated, turning in his seat.

"I left it at school." Nevaeh lied, clutching her bookbag tightly. She knew her teacher had threatened to call her dad but she didn't think she'd actually do it.

Zylin started undoing his belt making Nevaeh quickly go in her bookbag and try to fetch for her folder. She hadn't had a whooping in two weeks and she didn't want one now.

Zylin snatched the folder out of her hand and opened it immediately seeing a parent conference form. He also saw her behavior log on red and a whole paragraph of what Nevaeh had did.

Reading over the words, all Zylin saw was. "Nevaeh constantly interrupting math time giggling and talking with friends. When she was asked to close her mouth she told me to shut up and that she didn't have to listen to me because I wasn't her daddy. Please pick a select time for a parent conference."

"Oh so that's what we doing?" Zylin asked throwing her folder into the passenger seat.

"No sir." Nevaeh mumbled, watching Zylin's every move.

"Fuck the cheer practice you going home and I'm whooping ya ass when we get there. The fuck you get that attitude from?" He shouted, mugging Nevaeh. Nevaeh sat quietly in her seat constantly swallowing her spit being that she was so nervous.

Once they got home, Zylin left Nevaeh so that he could go get his other belt. The one that he had on would be too rough, so he went to get a much softer one. Meanwhile Nevaeh was standing in the corner looking at the wall.

"Now repeat what you said to your teacher to me." Zylin stated sitting on the couch with the belt in his left arm. Nevaeh turned around and watched the belt intensely.

"Daddy I'm sorry, I'm not gone say it nomo. I promise. And I'm gone be good daddy I promise." Nevaeh shook her head, knowing that she wasn't getting out of the whooping.

"Repeat what you said!"

Nevaeh started crying as she repeated every word that she said to her teacher.  She even told on herself a bit adding a couple of cussing words. Her teacher didn't write that Nevaeh cursed.

Zylin got up and grabbed Nevaeh's arm. The flimsy belt connected to Nevaeh's butt as she tried to squirm out of his hold. Zylin ignored Nevaeh's cries mostly because he wasn't hitting her as hard as most parents.