thirty five

"I don't have any updates on anybody but Jayda and Daloni." Doctor Grey announced, walking out of the double doors, behind one of the head trauma surgeons at the hospital.

Anthony and Zylin quickly stood to their feet, along with Jayda's mom and some of her cousins. The house fire was all over the news, and soon the whole city knew.

"They okay?" Anthony asked.

"Jayda is showing some signs of smoke inhalation. Luckily neither inhaled carbon monoxide or they would've died. We've checked her lungs for any smoke damage and we didn't find anything to severe. We've placed her on oxygen for the night to administer her breathing. I'm thinking she wasn't in the house as long as the others so she shouldn't have any long term affects other than hoarseness in the voice."

"Thank God." Jayda's mom sighed in relief.

"What about Daloni?" Zylin asked, speaking for the first time since he arrived at the hospital.

"Unfortunately being that Daloni has bone and lung cancer, he's in more critical condition. His lungs were filled with smoke, and I'm afraid he'll have more long term effects. Now he is awake and alert, but I'm concerned about his breathing. We've also placed him on oxygen to keep him from shortness of breath. Right now he's showing shallow breaths, so we're gonna keep him until he improves. We're still waiting on his blood tests, to rule out anything else, but right now he's in pediatric ICU." Doctor Grey explained, giving everyone a sincere look.

Zylin cleared his throat and looked back at Nevaeh who was playing with Angel. He then turned back around to the doctor. "B-Be honest with me, do you think she'll make it?"

"She's had significant trauma to the abdomen, surgeons are working extra hard to keep her stable, but it's not looking good. On top of the trauma, she was also exposed to extreme smoke inhalation. I can tell you right now that if she makes it, she'll have a whole list of permanent effects for life." Doctor Grey sighed.

"But we gone have faith. She has a little boy to live for, she not gone leave li man." Anthony reassured Zylin, who tried to hold in his cries.

"Jayda is in room 421, Daloni is not allowed visitors until tomorrow. I'll personally keep you all updated."

"Thank you sir. Please take care of our Heaven." Jayda's mom Charlotte said, holding the doctor's hand.

"Heaven is one of us. We have the best of the best working on her." Doctor Grey nodded, placing his hand over Charlotte's.

"Daddy, why are we here. Where is mommy?" Angel asked, tapping Anthony's back.

"Mommy got sick, we're about to go see her." Anthony replied, scooping Angel up in his arms. Angel was a momma's girl, she loved her dad, but Jayda spoiled her more.

Nevaeh frowned and got up from her seat. She went to tap Zylin's side, crossing her arms. "Daddy, why are we here?"

Zylin wiped under his eyes and bent down to Nevaeh's level. He didn't know how to tell her that her little brother  couldn't breathe on his own, or that Heaven was fighting for her life. "Uh, ya brother and moms got sick.We gone see them tomorrow." He stated, trying to smile through his cries.

"Why are you about to cry? Why can't the Doc McStuffins just give them medicine?" Nevaeh asked, with a small pout.

"Medicine can't fix it right now. We just have to wait." Zylin replied, picking Nevaeh up.

"Can I see them?"

"Not right now dooda." Zylin stated, going to sit back down in the waiting room chairs.