Chapter 28

"Do you have to go back home right away?" Easton asked, starting up the car. 

"No. My parents are probably still out, and my sister is staying the night with her friend." 

"Great." He pulled out of the parking lot and into hectic traffic. "How about a drink from the coffee shop first? Then we can decide what to do afterward?" He smiled. 

I reached down to get my phone to send my Mom a quick text out of courtesy that I'd be home late even though I knew they wouldn't care if I came home late or not. I waited a few minutes, and still no response from her, so I put my phone back in my purse. I knew they loved me, but every now and then, it would be nice for them to show it with a quick response, telling me to be careful and that they loved me. I didn't think I was asking for too much. 

"I'm going to call my parents and let them know that we're going by the coffee shop to get some drinks so they don't end up calling the police on us." He winked. He hit the phone button on his screen; the music stopped as his phone connected to the car. His Mom answered the phone with a sweet Hi, Easton, and that she thought he was on a date. He told her we had just finished dinner and wanted to let her know we were going to the coffee shop. She asked if he was with Savannah, and my heart sank. I knew the disappointment was all over my face like a flashing neon sign. I turned to look out the passenger window hoping he wouldn't see how hurt I truly was. He reminded his Mom that he wasn't with Savannah, and she started apologizing. Even over the phone, I could tell her apologies weren't sincere. He told her he wouldn't be home until late and that he'd lock the coffee shop after we were done, then told her bye. 

"Chelsi, are you okay?" I felt his hand on top of mine. 

I sat there for a few seconds, looking down at our hands. "Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" I turned, forcing a fake smile. 

"Again, I'm sorry about that," He moved his hand back to the gear shift. 

"It's okay, really." 

Luckily, we arrived at Lilli's between five and ten minutes later. The hard reality had enough time to set in that Easton was still with Savannah in that short amount of time. Easton told me he would pull around to the back of the building so people wouldn't think it was open. He got out of the car, quickly made his way around the front of the car, and opened my door. There was a light hanging over a brown metal door. Easton closed the door, locking the car. He walked over to the brown metal door and unlocked the door. He disappeared inside while his foot stayed pressed against the edge of the door to keep it open. He turned around a few minutes later, motioning me to come in. 

"Sorry, I had to turn the alarm off real quick before it started to go off." He closed the door behind me. 

"No worries." I looked around at the steel sink, tables, and a double steel oven over on the far wall wedged between another set of tables. "Wow..." 

"I know, right." He started walking toward the swinging door. "It's a lot to take in if you aren't used to being in the back of a restaurant-type place." 

"What can I make you?" He smiled, holding the door open for me. "If I remember right, you like sweet drinks." 

I couldn't believe that he remembered that I liked sweet lattes. Then again, he just made me a drink a few days ago; that's probably why he remembered. I knew I was reading too much into things, setting myself up for disappointment. 

"Can you make me a Chocolate Cherry Mocha?" I walked around the counter and sat down at a booth. 

"Sure." Do you want Almond milk or oat milk?