Chapter 47

The last bell of the day rang, and I breathed a huge sigh of relief and dread. Probably more dread than relief because Blakely was coming over to the house to lecture me about everything that was going on with Easton and Gavin. I got out of the seat, gathered my things, and headed for my locker to swap out the books I needed to take home tonight. Blakely was waiting for me at my locker when I turned the corner. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and held it for five seconds, exhaling as I kept walking.  

"What kind of latte do you want?" Blakely asked, sliding her phone down in her purse. 

"How about a Caramel Mocha latte with whip? I'm feeling adventurous today." I laughed. 

"That sounds good, to be honest. I might get one myself. Do you want anything else?" 

"No. Do you want me to give you some money?" I asked, grabbing my purse out of my locker. 

"Bitch, don't you dare try to give me money." Her brow furrowed. 

"Sorry." I raised my eyebrows at her. I closed my locker door. We started walking toward the front of the school. We started walking down the hall, and as we passed the kids in the hall, they were telling me congratulations and that they would vote for me. I looked over at Blakely, who looked just as confused as I was by everyone telling me they would vote for me.

"Congratulations, Chelsi!" A girl with long blonde hair said as she passed us, walking with her friends. 

"Thanks." I stopped once I got to the end of the hall, a few feet from the front entrance to the school. "Do you know what everyone is talking about?" I looked over at Blakely. 

She was looking around the hall herself. "I have no idea what the hell is going on." 

"I guess congratulations are in order," Emily said, walking up behind us. 

"What the do you want bitch?" Blakely smarted off before I had a chance to say anything. 

"Whatever." 

I rolled my eyes and turned around to face her. "What do you want?" 

She flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder. "I just want to know who you bribed to nominate you?" She wrinkled her nose up at us. 

"What the fuck are you even talking about?" I tossed my hand up in the air, rolling my eyes. 

"Nice try, but I'm not buying it. I'm going to make sure you lose." 

I raised my eyebrows. "Okay, whatever." 

"What in the hell was that all about?" I asked, looking over at Blakely. She was staring at the bulletin board by the office with her mouth hanging wide open. 

"I think I know why." She walked over toward the board. 

"HOMECOMING QUEEN NOMINATIONS!" I hollered. All of a sudden, Blakely's hand clamped down over my mouth. A stinging sensation started to spread across the lower part of my face. 

"Will you be quiet before we get in trouble? We are right next to the office. You promise not to scream if I take my hand off your mouth." She looked me in the eyes. 

I shook my head yes. "Damn it, Blakely. That hurt." I grabbed the lower part of my face with both my hands. 

"Sorry, but you were yelling right next to the office." She motioned over to the office door. 

We stood there looking at the announcement for Homecoming Nominations; it wasn't hard to miss there on the bulletin board. It was on white paper trimmed in gold, decorated with a couple of gold and black balloons and curling ribbon. Number three on the white piece of paper was my name, Chelsi Brock. I stood there staring at it as if, by some chance, it would just magically disappear off the paper. I was trying to figure out who in the hell would nominate me for Homecoming Queen. 

"We need to get going, Chelsi." Blakely tugged on my arm. 

"Huh?" I turned to look at her.

"I have to go get the lattes, and you need to go home and start on your homework." She started to walk toward the doors. 

"Yeah." I started to follow her, still staring at the announcement on the board. 

By the time we walked out to the parking lot, everyone had pretty much left, which was fine by me because I just wanted to get in my car and go home. Blakely told me she would go get the lattes and probably something sweet for us to snack on, which was perhaps a wise decision on her part because if not, I'd probably gone home and raided the refrigerator. But then, Mom would have noticed something was wrong and started in with the questions. Questions that I didn't have the answers to.

Blakely was out of the parking lot by the time I unlocked my car. I put my purse in the front seat and tossed my bookbag in the backseat. I started my car and headed home because I knew Blakely would be there in less than forty minutes. I managed to make it home in fifteen minutes. Mom's SUV wasn't in the driveway, but Dad's vehicle was, which meant they were out for the night. I opened the front door and hollered for Sam. She yelled back that she was in the kitchen. I walked in, and she was at the island eating a snack, and the smell of a casserole filled the room. 

"Let me guess; they're out for the night?" I opened the oven door. 

"Ding ding ding." Sam took a bite of her sandwich. 

"Are you okay if I go out for a little bit tonight?" I asked, walking over to the refrigerator. 

"Yeah, I'm not a baby." She took a drink. "By the way, congratulations." 

"Thanks." I stuck my head in the refrigerator, looking for something to snack on, shuffling the healthy food out of the way. I wasn't in the mood for it right now. But then, I remembered that Blakely was bringing something sweet to snack on. So, I closed the refrigerator door and walked over to the pantry. I opened the pantry door, observed the healthy snacks, and realized we didn't have any good chips in the house. I sighed, closing the pantry door in the defeat of not finding anything salty. 

"Everything okay?" Sam asked, taking another bite of her sandwich. 

"Not really. I have no idea who nominated me. Bitch ass Emily walked up to me after school today." I sighed, walking back around the island, leaning against the counter to face Sam. 

"Who cares who nominated you? Be thankful someone thought you were worthy of the honor." Sam took a drink of her sweet tea. 

"Yeah, you're right." I smiled. "Thanks, Sam." 

"Anytime. So, where you going tonight?" 

"Gavin's taking me to the Pier tonight." 

"He's hot." She took another drink. 

"Sam!" I laughed. 

"What? He is! Most of the girls are jealous of you. A lot of them hate you for it. I'm just saying." 

"What did I do?" I shrugged my shoulders, turning my palms up. 

"Nothing. They just hate you because Gavin likes you." She laughed. 

The doorbell rang. Sam quickly hopped off the stool and took off out of the kitchen before I had a chance to tell her it was Blakely. I could hear them returning to the kitchen a few minutes later. Sam walked back into the kitchen with my iced latte in her hand, sipping on it. I raised my eyebrow and stuck my hand out for her to hand it over. She reluctantly handed over my drink, grabbed her sweet tea, and headed to her room, leaving me to clean up her mess. At this point, I didn't care because I wasn't in the mood to deal with her attitude right now. 

Author's Notes:

Wow! Nominated for Homecoming Queen! I wonder who nominated her? Do you have any thoughts on who did it? 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote.