3. Tanjiro Kamado

Yua dashed into the forest and barely three seconds later she had two demons fighting to be the one to eat her.

Why you! I spotted the brat first!

Oh yeah? I'm older than you! I get first choice!

Says who?

One of the demons was a light grey color with horns that twisted in a way that reminded Yua of a goat's. The other was a cyclops, a skinny stick bug kind of Cyclops whose single red eye was threatening.

Yua tried to stay calm but she was panicking. She would be lucky to decapitate one of them but both at the same time would be impossible. Not when she still hasn't mastered mist breathing or any breathing technique.

Bracing herself, she decided to rely solely on her strength.

Besides, big brother Genya can do it to.

Using total concentration, she launched herself into the air, doing a front flip midair whilst swinging her sword. For a moment, she felt a shimmering energy begin to form but it was gone before she could grasp it.

She landed gracefully like a skilled dancer, or a pretty butterfly, as Lady Shinobu, the Insect Hashira and one of her brother's comrades, had taught her. The two demons heads rolled onto the ground next to her.

He! I did it! Whoo hoo! My training really paid off!

She shrieked with joy, as she jumped around, celebrating the fact that she had not been useless after all. She was so distracted she did not see as a third demon launched itself in mid air, readying itself for a finishing blow. By the time she noticed the demon's presence, it was too late and she was about to be killed by it.

Oh no! I got distracted! Now I'm gonna die! Mui ni- chan, I don't wanna die!

"Total Concentration, Water breathing. Fourth Form: Striking Tide!"

The demon's head and arm came off a mere inch away from her with a flow of water. She stood there in shock as its body began to disintegrate. Only then did she truly see the face of his rescuer. It was a boy, older than her obviously, whose dark hair blended into a deep maroon color. He had on a light blue haori with cloud patterns and and fox shaped mask with a red design. His maroon eyes regarded her with worry.

"Are you okay?". He asked her.

For some strange reason, looking at him, Yua was reminded of her once kind and caring older brother. In his place, she saw an image of Muichiro as he had once been her loving and caring older brother.

"Yes." She replied with a small smile.

"Great, I'm glad I got here in time. I'm Kamado Tanjiro." He said with a kind and gentle smile that warmed her heart.

"Tokito Yua." She replied, feeling a little self conscious.

She was used to the people's reaction when they heard she was the Mist Hashira's little sister. They expected her to be the prodigy he was and were disappointed everytime. This boy, Tanjiro, however, seemed to not react at the name.

Is it possible, he doesn't know?

This thought filled her with relief.

"Nice to meet you, Yua. We should stay together for the remainder of the test. We stand a better chance of making it out of here alive than when we're alone." He continued, his smile never faltering. "Besides, when I see you, I am reminded of my little sister. I would never forgive myself if anything happens to you."

She immediately rushed at him and gave him a hug before he could even finish, her emotions overwhelming her. To feel such brotherly love after so long was all she had wanted.

"Yes, thank you, Tanjiro-san."

And just like that they formed a tag team. Tanjiro did not seem to mind it at all that Yua used no breathing forms. He praised for her strength and agility and would encourage when she felt useless.

They were starting to fall into routine when they ran into another boy who was running for his life.