13. Calm before the storm

"And then he totally cheated!" The young girl told her friend as she pouted in annoyance at the memory she was recollecting.

Yua was currently seated on a tatami mat across the yellow and red haired boy who looked so much like his older brother, Kyojuro. Senjuro listened to his dear friend with a fond smile as he pictured everything she was telling him.

She had just arrived with the Flame Pillar to the Rengoku Estate. Senjuro had greeted them both with excitement whilst their father had been - well, his usual sulky self.

"I didn't know Shinazaguwa - sama could cook. I mean, I can picture Lord Tengen in the kitchen but Shinazaguwa, no I can't." He said with a fond laugh.

"You should have seen him. He was house wife material." Yua said with her own little giggle. "But don't tell him I said so."

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." The boy said with a smile.

"How about you, Senjuro, how have you been?" She asked him with a knowing smile.

"Ah, well, I have been as good as I can be. I did a few practice swings with the dummy but I still can't make my nichirin blade turn color." Senjuro explained as his expression fell into one of disappointment.

Yua wanting to cheer her friend up placed her palms gently over his hands.

"Hey, it's okay. I know you are very strong. You are a good and kind person and I'm lucky to have you as a friend. Even if you do not end up in the demon slayer co. I'm sure you will help many people." She told him with a warm smile.

This made him feel a lot better as he smiled in appreciation at his dear friend.

"Come on, let's spar a little. We can ask big brother Kyojuro to show us a few moves too." Yua suggested as she stood up from where she was seating.

Helping Senjuro up as well, she grabbed a pair of wooden swords, handing one to him and keeping the other for herself. They sparred for a bit and even got the Flame Hashira to show them a few tricks.

By the time it was sun down, they were both exhausted. They were still willing to keep on practicing but they all had to agree that they were starving. Senjuro managed to prepare them some delicious meal and sometime in between the meal, the boys' father came back home with a bottle of sake. The former Hashira was reeking of alcohol and as always he never missed the chance to insult his sons. 

Yua was never one to enjoy these sights so she would keep quiet, even though she would stare daggers at the older man and wish she could just  disappear from the table. However, once Shinjuro had finally left them to eat in peace, she placed a reassuring hand on her best friend's shoulder.

No words were spoken as the two cleared the dinner table and cleaned the dishes. Kyojuro had gone off to be by himself as he prepared to go off on another mission. Yua wished that she could spend more time with the Rengoku family but she too had to go back to her brother's estate, train and carry out missions of her own. It was for that reason that as she went back to her own room, she began to prepare to leave the next day. 

As she lay down that night trying to sleep, she couldn't help but miss the family she used to have. If only that night hadn't happened. If only she had been strong enough to fight with her brothers.

Maybe, just maybe they would have lived a normal life as a normal family.

Meanwhile

Walking in the dark, he contemplated all he had seen. It was a gamble and he wasn't sure it was worth his time. Then again, his comrade had taken interest in the girl. That was strange.

Surely he wouldn't, right? He would indulge him this once. Maybe then their rivalry could benefit from this unexpected turn of events.

As he continued to ponder his thoughts, he sensed movement fast approaching him. He didn't flinch or react. Why would he? The boy was sloppy, his movements everywhere. The boy was no seasoned swordsman. How disappointing.

He heard the slayer's guttural cry as he swung his sword at his neck, aiming for his neck. With his eyes narrowed in contempt, he moved to avoid the strike at the last second.

When the slayer saw his target vanish before his eyes, he was startled.

That was fast, the slayer thought as he looked around hoping to see where he had gone.

"You are weak. Did you hope to catch me off-guard?" He spoke up, prompting the slayer the turn around and face him.

Unlike the slayer's initial thought,  the demon hadn't jumped away and escaped. He had merely side stepped him so that he had ended up behind him. He saw the boy clutch his sword, ready to initiate combat but then he froze as he looked up to his face.

"Y -you... you're...." The slayer couldn't even finish his words as he visible paled, limbs shaking as he looked into the demon's eyes. 

He said nothing as he waited for the boy to make his next move. If he could. They never could. Somehow his very presence took away their will to fight. However, he had hoped this one would at least put up a fight, no matter how futile.

He saw the slayer begin to move and anticipated his battle but rather than stay and fight, the boy turned around and began to flee.

"How disappointing..." He began as he stared at the slayer's retreating back.

He quickly draws his sword and slashes swiftly in a singular horizontal motion in a crescent shape, creating numerous chaotic crescent blades. The slayer was caught up the attack and immediately sliced into many pieces by this singular attack.

"Moon Breathing, First Form: Dark Moon - Evening Palace."