9. The first mission: part two

The night was a thing of beauty. The stars glittered down to the world below and the moon was majestic in the night sky. Surely such a beautiful serene world could not be the realm of nightmares. After all, Yua's breath style was a demonstration of the beautiful moon that grazed the night.

And yet it was. To think that such an ethereal world would be a world of horror was blasphemy and yet from the very moment the sun set, Yua Tokito found herself facing off against the occasional demon. It was quite a ways to the small island to which she was dispatched and as a result she had to run through the treacherous terrains.

Her haori blurred around her in the dark as she ran, creating the illusion of shooting stars. Her glorious purple blade clutched in her hand, ready to take down any demon that dared attack her.

Years of training had allowed her to master total concentration constant and this gave her the ability to run faster and longer than any other person.

She knew she needed to get to the island before the sunrise. Before the demon retreated to the comfort of it's hideout.

She could remember the words of her kasugai crow very well. The demon came at night. A siren they called it for it managed to lure children from their beds towards the shore where it would drag them to the bottom of the sea, never to be seen again.

Maybe it was her own past experiences that made her even more determined. Even still, she knew she could not allow the demon to live another day.

When she finally got to the island, the streets were empty. People had confined themselves to the comfort of their home. She could almost taste the tension in the air. They were waiting for something to happen. She could feel it. Part of her wanted to knock on one of the doors and take it from there part she knew that would be a terrible idea. No one would open their doors for a stranger. Not when their children were disappearing and falling prey to something dark and sinister. She would have to listen to the sounds of the night for any sign of the demon.

The only thing she heard was the sound of silence. An absolute deafening silence. It was almost as if she was in a ghost town.

"Perhaps they've all gone to bed." she thought to herself as she scanned the empty streets.

Just then, she head the sound of footsteps behind her. Turning a full 180 degrees, she found herself looking at a young teenage boy walking down the streets.

His eyes seemed unfocused, almost as if they were open but his mind was asleep. It was then she figured that either the boy was sleep walking or he was being puppeteered by the demon.

She quickly grabbed his hand and yanked him towards her.

"Hey, snap out of it!" She said to him whilst violently shaking him.

His eyes remained blank as it seemed nothing was working.

"That won't do much." A sweet voice said from behind her.

Turning her head, Yua saw a beautiful demon wearing a moss colored kimono. The demon had long dark hair that had moss growing out of it. Her eyes were white with hints of a minty color.

Smiling sweetly, she took out a small flute that she put to her lips, smiling devilishly at the little girl.

"I've killed a bunch of you slayers, I wouldn't mind finishing you off right now." The demon said with an evil laugh as she took out a green flute that she brought up to her lips.

Yua immediately figured that the flute had to be a part of the woman's blood demon art.

"If I kill enough of you, I'm sure that man will recognize my talents and then maybe I can become one of the twelve kizuki." The demon said as she began to play a soft tone.

Yua immediately wedged some very small cotton balls into her ears to prevent herself falling prey to the blood demon art. She had been saving the cotton balls for emergency first aid but she decided that this situation could be counted as one.

The cotton did block out the sound for a while but the demon immediately noticed this. With a smirk, the demon made sure to blow her flute even louder.

"You can block out my song for only a little while, little girl, but sooner enough you will break. Then I shall have you for dinner." The demon continued with an evil laugh.

The air was getting thick and heavy, making it very difficult for  Yua to focus. She felt hazy and sleepy, which she figured was a result of the demon's blood art finally getting to her.

She knew that if she took too long trying to slay the demon, she would eventually be killed. Firstly, however, she needed to get the boy to safety.

Deciding that talking to him would not bear any fruit, she hit him hard on his neck with the handle of his sword and watched as he fell to the ground unconscious.

Grasping her sword she decided to use a form that would provide defence whilst allowing her to fall back.

"Moon breathing Second Form : Pearl Moon Flower Gazing! "

The barrage of crescent moons she sent out forced the demon back and allowed her to retreat into the shadows. Looking around quickly, she was able to find a safe empty space where she took caution to bind the boy to a chair before rushing back towards the river's edge.

She had no intention of letting the demon girl lose on the the poor unsuspecting souls of the town.

A/N : I know this took forever but I promise you I will try to update this book much more frequently. I've just had a lot on my plate. I will try to upload the next bit soon💜

 I will try to upload the next bit soon💜