10. First Mission: Part three

"Well, well, so you decided to come back after all." The demon chuckled as she held her flute delicately in her hands. "And here I thought you had done the smart thing and fled for your life."

Yua knew that the demon was trying to psych her out but she wasn't going to take the bait. Having been trained partly by the Flame Hashira , Kyojuro Rengoku, she knew how to stare danger in the face and not waiver. His courage had rubbed off of her but she wasn't complaining.

"I was sent here to kill you." Yua declared as she held out her purple sword. "And I will fullfil my mission!"

"You will die is what you'll do!" The demon snapped before she began blowing on her flute.

As she did, long green reeds grew all around her and began to attack Yua. They moved around like tentacles, bending to her will, and causing a tornado of attacks.

The demon had figured that Yua would find a way to block her Siren song so now she would use a more direct assault. The reeds moved around in an impossibly fast pace and Yua was all but deflecting them at this point. She knew this was a sign that this demon was more powerful that the one they had faced at final selection.

She did a back flip in mid air to avoid a fatal blow, using the momentum to block and repel the attack with her sword. Landing expertly on the ground, she took a deep breath before she rushed towards the demon. Using total concerntration breathing, her speed was increased as was her strength and stamina. She was able to match every one of the demon's attacks with her very own.

She used her moon breathing to deflect the demon's attacks. There was no way she could manage to stay on defense forever. If she was going to win this battle, she needed to find a way to land the finishing blow in one swift move.

Meanwhile, as the two fought, a mysterious figure watched their battle from the shadows. There was nothing special about the fight from what he could detect and yet he had been drawn here. The demon was obviously weak if she was having trouble taking down that pint sized slayer girl. So what was it that brought him here?

Neither of the two had sensed him yet, which he appreciated. Things would get complicated if they did. He had no reason to jump in... yet.

However, as he was about to turn and leave in absolute disappointment, something intriguing happened.

He watched as the demon slayer swung her sword rapidly into two gigantic crescent slashes, from which a storm of smaller crescents spread, causing huge destruction in a small area.

"Moon breathing, third form : loathsome moon chains!" The girl said aloud as she landed elegantly on the ground.

Eyes wide, he felt his blood rush in a feeling of euphoria as he witnessed the girl unleash a deadly blow with her breathing style.

"That girl... How interesting. Maybe you're not as weak as I thought." He said to himself with a happy giggle as the gears began to turn in his head. "What if..."

With a mysterious smile, he retreated to the shadows, promising himself that he'll keep an eye on the young demon slayer.

It took about twenty seconds before the demon girl realized that she had been beheaded.

"Did - did I just lose?" She asked in shock, her body slowly beginning to disintegrate. "That's impossible! I can't lose to a brat like you!"

As the demon girl wallowed in her failure, Yua couldn't help but feel sad for her. Although she had become an evil demon, there was no doubt that underneath it all there was a lonely girl who just wanted to be recognized. Maybe Tanjiro had understood their pain everytime he prayed for the demons he had beheaded.

With that thought in mind, Yua found herself praying for redemption the demon's souls as she watched her completely disintegrate.

She thought about finding the boy she had saved and returning him home but eventually decided against it. Someone else would find him. She just didn't know if she was willing to risk explaining what had really happened to the people of this town. Not many people believed in demons. These people may have been terrorized by one but they may have generalized it as something else. No. She wasn't going to risk it.

Her job here was done. She began to walk back to her brother's estate.

A/N : Short chapter long overdue. I know I promised I would get it up sooner but I kinda fell sick soon after I published the last chapter. I'm much better now and am glad to start updating again. Please vote and comment. I would love to hear your thoughts on this. And your theories. Who do you think that mysterious person watching them was? Comment your thoughts and theories 😇💓🌟