s2 e16

November 10th, 2014

i walked into the house and immediately felt a breeze slap me across the face. it was colder than usual in here. was a window open? did mom and dad forget to turn the heat up before leaving for work?

"mom!" i blurt as i walk through the house. no answer. "dad!" again, no answer.

are they hiding to scare me? they're always trying to do that. ive gotten so used to it, it barely works.

"hello?? if you're trying to scare me, it's not going to work! you know ive gotten used to it!" i shout once more but nothing.

i made my way off into the dining area and immediately my eyes fell upon a note that sat on the coffee table.

Dear Alex,
"your parents—yes both, were rushed to the hospital and your dad is undergoing immediate surgery. he collapsed on the living room floor and there was no pulse. i am not writing this for you to be nervous and worried. it's more of an informative message for you, i know you were in school and all. never worry though lovely, they're both doing amazing and you know you have amazing parents, they can overcome absolutely anything. i love you lots, kisses." aunt Rachel

"mom..dad," i whispered softly as a faint tear rolled down my cheek.

i felt every emotion hit me as i began to hyperventilate, my heart was thumping in my chest so fast. i felt like i was gonna pass out.

whew, no Alex, calm down.

breathe.

i took a deep breath, closing my eyes as i gathered myself together.

let's go to the hospital, whew, okay, come on

•••

"oh my gosh, aunt Rachel, what do you mean?" my heart sank deep within my chest, i was really holding in every bit of emotion right now. "what—i—i though—uh. i thought you said they'd bounce back."

she nods, "i did baby yes but seems as thought your dad condition is coming back to him but stronger. as for your mom, she's stable for now. she's not as bad as your father but she's doing a lot better than he is currently."

i swallowed the knot inside of my throat, "how was the surgeries?"

"well, the doctors haven't told us much but they've told us what we can go off of. the surgeries went okay, but his body is fighting off the medication he's been on. they've been trying to give him others but they're not working as well as the ones he's fighting off."

i sigh, pulling my attention down onto the hospital floor, "i can't lose them, Rachel i cannot."

"hey hey hey, look at me Alex," she cups my face. "you're not going to lose them, you have to think positive even though the worse outcomes. yes, it's looking bad right now but keep your head high and your hope higher."

i sniff, rubbing my nose quickly, "yes ma'am."

"good, thank you," she plants a kiss on top of my forehead. "i love you, Alex."

"i love you, aunt Rachel."

"Mrs Brooks?" a doctor shouts.

my aunt Rachel shakes her head as she stands, "no sir, just Miss but im Miss Brooks, how can i help you? how are they?"

he nods, "my apologies but uh they're doing a lot better than better. uh Mr Lance, he's taking the medication we've been desperately trying to give him. his body is reacting to it a lot better."

"okay," she nods. "her mom? how is she?"

"bad news sadly, she's doing a little bit worse. it isn't that bad, i can promise you that but she's on oxygen."