16. Complication.

Adam.

I ran my fingers slowly along Eve's soft and slender body. Her skin feels like silk against my fingers and it's addictive. She is fast asleep, but I haven't been able to get any sleep. I can't stop thinking about how tonight went, how did I let Levi interfere in this? Has news about my failed mission already reached Hermis' ear? Why is he not here yet to confront me about how much of a disappointment I am.

I don't want to see him. I don't want him to remind me once more how much he loathes me and thinks I am a fault.

I sink my teeth into my bottom lip, I want to turn to the other side but if I move Eve's going to wake up. I don't hear him coming, the only thing I see is my bedroom doors flying open to reveal an all-so-familiar face.

A smirk plays on his lips as he spreads out his arms. This will be one hell of a morning.

"Hi," I greet. I'm not sure I sound as sarcastic as I crave to sound.

"Wonderful morning, don't you agree?"

"Agreed." I let out another sarcastic chuckle. For some reason, I feel the need to hurt him as much as he hurts me, but it doesn't happen that way. I only look at him; his long, dark, and shinny hair falls back neatly. He is draped in a dark suit and he has dark shoes on his feet.

"Umh," he grumbles, and Eve next to me stifles.

"Hermis?" Eve speaks, her voice comes out as a sheer whisper, but she manages to sit up. She draws the dark bedsheets to cover her breast.

"Good morning, Eve, can I have a moment to speak to him?"

"Of cour-"

"No, she stays. Whatever you have to say to me, you can say it to her." I give him a formidable stare. "Besides she's my soon-to-be wife."

He chuckles and walks further into the room. His big hands linger over my bookshelves to the other cupboard filled with artifacts. There's a huge dark dresser with Eve's makeup and stuff in the corner and a walk-in closet on the other side. My room is dark, from the walls to the floors, the bed covers and almost all my clothes except a few white t-shirts that I own for special occasions. Occasions like last night.

Hermis though only settles for a dagger; the one he gifted me when I was twelve while he gave my brother a real sword. He plays with that tiny thing while Eve and I wait for the lecture of our lives.

"Is she dead?" he asks.

Of course, it's about this, what else can bring him to my chambers early in the morning and leave the cold bed of his?

"No," I deadpan and look away.

He chuckles. "Why's that?"

"There was a complication," I respond.

Eve only listens to our conversation in silence.

"Complication?"

"Yes."

"What kind of complication?" He quotes 'complication' with imaginary marks in the air. He puts the dagger down and turns to Eve. "Eve, what happened? Are you not capable of killing her? She's just a girl for crying out loud. I shouldn't have entrusted you with this task, the faster this ends the better for each one of us."

It is not as simple as everyone thinks it is. I kissed her and I still have no idea why I felt drawn to her last night.

I couldn't get enough of her lips, and so I had to pull myself together five times or more to try and make the kill. But I'm not letting anyone in on that secret, I hate Ivy, I'm supposed to hate her. Everyone who knows of the prophecy hates her but I don't understand why it didn't feel like hate when I tasted her lips.

Somehow, I'm thankful for Levi's interference, I'm scared of what would have happened if he didn't show up. Would I have let her go? Up until this minute, I have never doubted my ill feelings towards Ivy. But given what happened last night, I am not so sure I will be able to go through with it.

As much as I anticipated it, I don't think I can do it anymore. Perhaps it's wise to let Eve handle it. But I hate to look weak to my family and besides, I'm fighting for the throne and survival. This is the only fair thing my father has ever done for me. His conditions were clear when I asked if I could be the one to save us all. He said; I'd be able to prove myself as legitimately his if I successfully killed Ivy, and he'd step down. I would be the king, not my brother.

He just abhors me for the mere fact that I was born the same time Levi was born. His mistake, I'm the one paying for it.

"Give us one last chance, Hermis, this time I will make sure we get it over with. I promise," Eve speaks with so much conviction and confidence that I honestly lack. Why is she not the fucking man here?

"You speak my language, dead daughter in law." My father turns to me. "I wonder how you transferred your balls to, Eve."

Seriously.

"Haha." I roll my eyes. He only tsk's and heads for the door. "Levi said hi, by the way."

I know this is equivalent to a death blow. It will ruin his entire day. Just knowing that his mistake still exists, strong and alive bothers him. The corners of my lips carve into a smile and for once, I feel like I have gotten to him.

"Mhm," he murmurs then leaves.

As soon as the door closes, I sigh. I turn to Eve who only smiles. At least she knows what I'm going through; to be hated by your father and not noticed by your mother. I hate my own younger brother because of them.

For some unknown reasons, my parents are determined to turn us against each other and I think it's working pretty well because Eros can not stand me either. Though younger than me by two years, he doesn't fail to stand up to me and challenge me, making everything even worse. It's all the doing of my fucking parents.

"This has to end now babe," Eve hisses.

I place a gentle kiss on her lips and look into her grim eyes.

"Yes, I promise."

##