TWO

Myoah had the greatest army in Kulaiena before the werewolves defeated them.

Now Aropia holds that title.

-

Z A E L A H

Waiting for tomorrow was probably the hardest thing I had to do since my mind was filled with heavy thoughts of worry while my heart held the weight of crippling anguish about the seemingly never-ending war and the people I have lost.

I had to force myself to keep up a brave face since everyone drew their strength from me. I was the one they looked up to and I would be the one they would turn to if the wolves made it past the palace defences even if I didn't know what to do myself.

I walked to my office with my father after we thanked Nina and left her to busy herself with the injured soldiers.

The second we entered we were greeted by the sight of our family.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" I asked her as she brought me into a hug while I met the eyes of my siblings, Ariella and Dante, who were sitting on the couch in the corner of the office.

"We couldn't stay in the hideout while you two were out here fighting for your lives." My mother, Vivian, stated before pulling back from the hug while her hand travelled to caress her eight-month-old baby bump.

My father and I had sent her and my siblings into our kingdom's hideout for their own safety since the possibility of us winning this war wasn't high, and either way, they wouldn't be much help since Dante was way too young to battle a wolf.

He was only 6 while my sister, Ariella, was 18 making her a year younger than me, and in the event that I would fall into the hands of death, she was to acquire the throne.

The reality made our need to keep her safe an important one, but now that she was here the task of protection was one that would now present itself as a difficulty.

"You're pregnant mom, if everything goes downhill you'll be a liability, one dad and I don't want to lose," I said with a frown which my father mirrored as he crossed his arms with a look of disapproval.

"We're here now, and with how the war's going you won't be able to send us back without a wolf interfering." She replied while my orbs transferred themselves onto my sister.

"I know mother couldn't get past the guards by herself, why did you let her leave?" I inquired with irritation presenting itself in my tone and Ariella stood in response as she attempted to match my level of power.

"We weren't going to leave you both here to die. You know what? Maybe we should have stayed because when you die I will be queen." She fired, leaving her words to pierce through my lingering ocean of emotions, but nonetheless, I kept a straight face in an attempt to not reveal my emotional reaction.

"A good queen knows when it's time to fight, you just put the future of Aropia at risk by deciding to come here. You could have rebuilt our forces and over time come back and take our kingdom." I responded firmly and my reply had a look of guilt greeting her face before she fell quiet which wordlessly announced the fact that I was right.

"Let's not dwell on this now, these may be our last days if King Malik declines our offer." My father stated as an interruption to my sister and I's brief disagreement.

I decided not to respond as I made my way over to the window to watch the soldiers who willingly offered the health of their vessel to protect our borders against the creatures whose brown, black, and grey furs were painted with the blood of our fallen warriors.