TWENTY-ONE

Z A E L A H

"You don't have to do this if you don't want to," Malik stated as we entered the garden I was strolling through last night before my heat arrived.

"Malik, I want to," I assured him with a made-up mind.

"Are you sur—" He started again but was unable to finish.

"Queen Zaelah." I heard Giana's voice behind us which had my attention shifting to her as I turned to face her.

"Is everything alright?" I inquired, my orbs travelling from Giana to Nina who stood silently beside her.

"Not really," Giana replied vaguely, her eyes darted from me to Malik for a quick second before she completely focused on me.

"What is it?" I asked her, wanting to know what was so important that they couldn't wait until later to tell me.

"Can we discuss this privately?" She requested, obviously not enjoying Malik's presence and I wasn't sure if that bothered him because he kept his face blank.

"I trust Malik won't say anything and either way distance won't make a difference since his ears aren't like humans, so continue," I remarked and even though Giana still didn't like the thought of him being here she made a gesture for Nina to speak.

"We are very short on supplies," Nina notified me and I pushed away the sigh that wanted to leave the depths of my throat as I asked,

"What supplies exactly?"

"Food, wood, weaponry and medical kits—we are running out of bandages, alcohol, medication and a lot more." She informed me, allowing the stress I thought was gone when the war ended to rise once again, dragging me down.

"How long before we run out completely?" I questioned them, wanting to know how much time I had to find and round up supplies.

"A month or two, but with the citizens expecting us to feed them until they get back on their feet and the farms are rebuilt, I'd say less than a month," Giana estimated and the sigh that I had pushed down earlier climbed my throat again and I permitted it to, as it escaped my lips expressing my stressed state.

"Which towns did the werewolves not attack?"

"Yuna, Kile and Hyuo," Giana reported and I felt my hope rising at her words.

"How are they doing?"

"They're lacking items as well because Drago was their supplier and ours, so the crops they have now won't be enough to feed the citizens," Nina voiced and I decided to refocus my attention on other supplies mentioned until I figured out what I'd do about the lack of food.

"I'm guessing the builders need the wood?"

Nina nodded in silent confirmation.

"As you know, Naya was our supplier for that," Giana added.

"Nina, you need the medical kits?" I inquired as the memories of the injured soldiers I saw earlier resurface.

"Yes. Even though we've healed most of the warriors, they'll need to change their bandages soon and get their wounds cleaned again." She answered, letting me know how dire the situation was.

"Is there no way you can use your magic to help you?"

"Unfortunately, no. We're already weak from fighting and healing plus it would take more Alkebulans for the type of spell we'd need to perform." She explained which pulled another question from me.

"Can't you contact your fellow Alkebulans to help?"

"No, they'd rather die than come here because it'd be an act of war against him and a betrayal against our leaders."

My eyes met Malik's for a brief second to see he was silently listening to our conversation.

"I'll figure something out before the end of the month," I assured them, despite not knowing how I'd go about getting the supplies because I had no supplier seeing as the kingdoms that would usually provide us with the items needed were now taken over by the werewolves.

"How are you going to do that?" Giana questioned me and I decided to answer her with the truth.

"I'm not ent—"

"I'll have my people in Drago send your monthly shipments of crops, foods—anything you need," Malik interjected, causing our worried minds to focus on him and I could feel my hope being revived by his words.

"What's the catch?" Giana asked cautiously, showing the little trust she had in him.

"There's no catch."

"What about the other kingdoms you took over that supplied us?" Nina inquired, pulling his attention to her.

"Even though I can promise you shipments from Drago, I cannot promise you ones from Naya—what were the other kingdoms that supplied you with medical help and weaponry?" He replied and my hope dimmed slightly.

"Gayaun and Myoah."

"You'll have to speak to the leaders I placed in control of those kingdoms for their help." Malik conveyed.

"Why should we trust that you'll do this?" Giana asked with crossed arms.

"Because Zaelah needs it." He answered like it was the most obvious response as he looked at me, his gaze warm and I found myself being pulled into a trance, but I quickly broke it when I spoke.

"Will the leaders be in Drago when we arrive?" I questioned him.

"No, but I'll invite them."

"You're going to Drago?"

Giana was the one to ask this.

"Yeah, just for a few days," I informed her, pulling a warm smile from Nina.

"I wish you both a safe journey then," Nina voiced.

-

"Are you sure, Zaelah?" Malik asked, watching me rest my clothes into the bag that was on the bed I was sitting on.

"I'm very sure, Malik. I need to go now more than ever because I have to sort out supply issues." I reminded him while I folded one of my many dresses before placing it inside the bag.

"I'll have someone set up a carriage to take us to the docks," I told him, but he shook his head the second he heard my statement.

"There's no need for that, Alkebulans will deal with the transportation." He informed me while closing the closet door when he realised I was no longer using it since I had not made any move to get up again.

"Portal?" I questioned him curiously as I zipped up my bag.

"Yes, they'll be arriving in five minutes." He declared, taking the bag from my grasp the second I stood.

"I should inform my family of my departure."

"I doubt they'll be elated," Malik mumbled oud enough for me to hear and I offered him a nod of agreement.

"They won't be and that's fine. Are you coming?" I asked while making my way towards my room door.

"I'm right behind you."

-