CHAPTER 4

Ntandokazi

I was in my room studying -because I've been procrastinating for almost two weeks and school opens in a week and a half and I have clinical rotations for almost six months, why do I have to go through all this when all I want to do is Psychiatry? Wait losing track of my thoughts - I was in my room studying when there was a knock at my door. I looked at the time on my laptop: 12:45 pm, it was probably Samara bringing lunch. I have to talk to her about her bringing me food, I am not incapable of going downstairs to get my food. I appreciate her efforts though because one thing about me, once I open the books I lose track of time. I opened the door and was surprised to see Thandolwethu. 

Me: "I'm sorry, are you lost? Your bedroom is the one across from this one"

He stared at me blankly and pushed himself in to my room. 

Me: "Why yes of course king Thandolwethu. By all means come in"

Him: "Just a quick little reminder, I'm not your friend. Don't think because I'm tolerant of you you can talk to me ngolo hlobo,"

I wanted to laugh because I thought of that Tik Tok of that girl saying. "Just because I'm nice to you, you think you can say whatever you want to me". But I controlled myself and kept a straight face. He surveyed the room and looked at the table with my laptop and notes. 

Him: "Uyafunda?"

Me: "No, I'm waiting for you to tell me what you want"

He narrowed his eyes and opened his mouth to speak but thought better of it and sighed. He rubbed his forehead (which is massive by the way, lmao I'm joking) before rubbing his hands together, which is something I've noticed he does quite a lot. 

Him: "My firm is having a dinner thing tomorrow night and we've both been invited."

Me: "Why do I have to come?"

Him: "Were you not listening? We were both invited."

Me: "Let me rephrase, why was I invited?"

He sighed again and rubbed his temples. He went over to my desk and picked up a book I was almost done reading. "The house girl," he read before looking up at me questioningly. "Is it any good?" he asked reading the synopsis. I shrugged and he looked mildly disappointed. "If the synopsis is anything to go by, it sounds like a good book," he said and my jaw almost fell. Thandolwethu? Bhele? The most narcissistic, egotistical, womanizing man I know saying synopsis? I mean yeah it isn't an incredibly hard word but I had assumed his vocabulary was well- limited. 

Him: "Yintoni? I read too you know."

Me: "I didn't say anything."

Him: "You gave me that judgy face. Actually now that I think of it, that's what your face always looks like."

Me: "Oh, the pain."

I said clutching my chest in mock offence.

Him: "It actually took me all night to come up with that one"

He nodded in mock approval of himself and I had to resist the urge to laugh.

Him: "Anyways, the thing starts at 7:00 pm. The theme is black tie, we leave at 6:30."

He said leaving and I huffed. 

Me: "I didn't say I wanted to come."

Him: "I didn't ask whether or not you did."

With that he left and closed the door behind him.