CHAPTER 9

I wait for him to elaborate but he doesn't, instead he passes me the bottle and I gulp half the water down.

Me "So, am I getting out of here any time soon?"

He chuckles again.

Him "You're way too calm"
Me "I'm hoping my good charm and cooperation will convince you to let me go"

I flash him what I hope is a killer smile and he shakes his head while laughing. In all honesty I'm staying calm so my head is clear and I'm able to process things quickly. So far what I know is: there are two locks on the door and this man has probably kidnapped someone before.

Me "So what did Thandolwethu do? Did he sleep with your girlfriend?"

He laughs again and shakes his head.

Him "Something like that. Don't do anything stupid"

With that he walks out and I hear the two locks click in place. As soon as he leaves I feel the fear rush over me. What have you gotten me into Thandolwethu?

×××

Thandolwethu

Me "What the fuck do you mean you can't find her?"
Bones "Uyangxola. When you can't find someone it means you don't know where they are"
Me "I know what it fucking means. I mean how did you lose her in the first place? Kanti what do I pay you for?"
Bones "Right now you're mad and I understand, but you will not fault me or scream at me as if I'm your child"

He walks out and slams the door behind him. What have I fucking done? My phone pings, it's a WhatsApp message from an unknown number.

She's having fun here, I think I'll keep her.

Attached is a picture of
Ntandokazikayise drinking water smiling with Mnqobi laughing with her too. I grit my teeth. Fuck this is worse than I thought. I forward the picture to Bones and in less than 3 minutes he's back in the office.

Him "What are we going to do?"
Me "Right now, I need someone to analyze that picture, try to locate the geotag and the phone number."
Him "Already have someone on that"
Me "I fucked up Bones"
Him "I hate to say I told you so"
Me "Yeah well, silapha ngoku and we have to deal with it. Have you sent security to her parents?"
Him "Yeah. But I'm serious. Ndikuxelele ngaloya mntana. You may not want to hear this but it's true. Ntandokazikayise's blood will be on your hands, all because you think with your dick. Jonga ngoku, Mnqobi is going to kill her just like you did to Mba-"
Me "Okay fuck, I get it. Are you going to lecture me about the same thing or are you going to help me come up with a solution?"

He sighs and I rub my forehead. Mbali is still fucking things up for me from her grave.

Him "You know there's nothing we can do except to get to him before he gets to you"
Me "Look where that got us the first time"
Him "What do you want to do then?! We don't have a choice and we are running out of time here."
Me "Fine, assemble the team."

There's knock at the door and Bangi comes in.

Bangi "We've got a bigger problem. Team 2 is down and the subjects are gone"
Me "Team 2 was..."

I don't even finish my sentence before he nods. Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and at the worst possible time. And right now - everything has gone fucking wrong.