CHAPTER 6

Ntandokazi

The minute we walk in, about 30 pairs of eyes turn to look at us. A slight hush falls over the room causing everyone to look over at us. With our arms linked together, Thandolwethu and I walk towards a man who is also glaring at me intensely and a woman who I assume is his wife. He is quite tall, with a bulging beer belly, thinning gray hair.

Thandolwethu: Peter! Good to see you.

Conversations start again, most of them obviously about me as they keep looking at me.

Peter: Of course, you remember my wife Ivana.

Ivana and Thandolwethu exchange pleasantries after Thandolwethu kisses both her cheeks. Ivana is a woman of elegance and grace and obviously, wealth. Her skin is smooth, with a wrinkle or two that heightens her beauty. She is almost as tall as her husband, with perfect posture, captivating yet mischievous blue eyes and wavy blonde hair, graying at the roots.

Ivana: Are you not going to introduce us, Thando?

Thandolwethu: My apologies, this is my wife, Ntandokazi. Ntandokazi, Peter and Ivana one of our sponsors and chair people for our charity drive.

I shake both their hands in greeting and exchange pleasantries with them. Peter looks at me skeptically, before asking me what I do for a living no doubt thinking I'm a gold digger.

Me: I am a final year med student.

He raises his eyebrows, seemingly impressed and smiles at me, a genuine one at that.

Ivana: Peter, I see someone who is on the board, perhaps we can try and convince them to donate more money. You'll have to excuse us, we are off to weasel more money. It was nice meeting you, Nthandokhazi, hope to see you again soon. In the mean time, make sure he doesn't put his wallet away.

She winks at me as she says the last sentence before pulling Peter away. Thandolwethu introduces me to more people, who are all less than welcoming until they find out I do medicine which must then mean I am not a gold digger. Sigh.