20. Teddy

chapter 20

the coach rolled up a long shell and Lillian's breath hitched as she took in the sight,  Evan had merely said they would be staying at one of his many country houses. His description had not done the residence justice

For one, it was huge, forty rooms at least. Sprawled out over the land like a hulking giant. Pane after pane of sparkling window glass glinting in the well ripened sunshine. The servants entrance stood at ground level. A set of elegant double stairs led up around it to the main portico, finished in the palladian style, complete with columns.

Yet all that faded into insignificance compared to the roses. Hundreds of them clinging to the far side of the house, pink and lush, climbing skyward on tall white trellises as if they meant to touch heaven itself.

Oh, and the fragance. it was like being bathed in a bottle of the most luxirous perfume ever created. Lillian drew in a deep breath and closed her eyes savoring the experience

It was quite simply the most beautiful, most romantic setting she had ever seen.

The coach door opened, Teddy bounded out, releasing a serious of joyous barks as he loped to and fro on the drive. She proceeded at a more sedate pace, allowing Evan to reach in a hand to assist her down the small steps to the ground, swinging her the last few inches with an arm effortlessly looped around her waist.

"Finally here" he commented after she was setled. "It has been a long day's travel" He paused at her silence, as if afriad to voice his next question, "So what do you think?"

She knew she should not reveal her delight, any lady from the upper class who came from the royal family was used to beautiful sights and places, castles. her twin would not have been overly impressed with the display of natural beauty. Such things mattered little to Eleanor. But in that moment, Lillian could not contain her true feelings.

"I think it is simply enchanting"

His eyes warmed, tiny lines fanning in the corners as he smiled. A dimple popped to life in his right cheek. She fought the urge to trace her fingers over it, her heart hitching inside her breast. Love washed through her, crashed like the rough ocean waves she could hear the sounding in the distance.

She had lied to him. Her very presence here was a hideous deciet for which she would someday surely pay. But right now she had not a single regret. Right now, he was her husband and he belonged to her.

The look in his eyes changed, lids dropping with sudden desire. She waited to see if he would kiss her, right here in front of the line of servants that formed at the foot of the main staircase. Over a dozen people waiting to welcome the earl and countess home.

She wished they would all vanish. She wished she and Evan were alone.

Teddy raced up, inserted his large body between them in an exuberant canine wiggle. He shattered the mood as effectively as a scolding duenna.

Evan arched a brow of amused resignation. "Shall we, my dear?"

She accepted the arm he extended and let him lead the way.

Evan introduced her first to the regular caretakers of the estate. The grimms, an older couple who were the exact opposite of their names, smiling and full of good local cheer. Mr. Grimm oversaw the grounds and upkeep on the property with the aid of two assistant gardeners and groundsmen. Mrs grimm served as housekeeper and cook, with her own staff of two , a parlor maid, Bianca who was too shy to do more than squeak out a greeting, and Cynthia, the kitchen maid, as round and pretty as a feshly picked apple.

It soon became obvious they adored Evan he was relaxed, friendly, yet still in command in a way her father never was with his own people. Lillian could sense an huge responsibilty and duty bearing over his shoulder.