Chapter 4: A Holy Ceremony

" I swear the grass was green one minute, and then it's all dead the next! "

   " Maybe you were seeing something because of all the stress. " Cecilia mentioned.

   " I don't think that's it. I know what I saw. "

   " Y/n, maybe you need to do some more relaxing. I think it's stress too. Seeing things isn't good; it's a sign your mental health is deteriorating. " Genevive said, popping a strawberry in her mouth. 

You looked at the fruits and strawberries on the table and decided to pick a cracker to nibble on while you conversed with your companions. It was a lovely day, so you had a picnic at the fountain in town while you watched people bustle around. Children played and carried goods while parents walked around, working, or running to the market.

 It was a busy day in the town, for the castle was celebrating the king's wedding. The prince, who became the king a year ago, had finally found a woman to be his bride to rule the kingdom. In honor of the wedding, the king would celebrate at the palace that all could attend. Genevive didn't plan to go to the ball and instead spend the time going to Madrathia to see Jin while the roads were clear of walking people. Madrathia was a long ride away, so she had to leave early, as soon as the party started to get there, before the moon set. Cecilia planned on going and looking for a man to win over. You wanted to spend the quiet time in your room, scheming on your plan.

   " How is the plan going? Do you have any ideas? " Cecilia asked.

   " Well, one option is to run off one day randomly. I could pack any necessities I need, go to the closest village, and then continue East. "

   " You could come with me to Madrathia. " Genevive said, looking toward you.

   " I could, that's also an option, but I need to leave discretely. I don't need anyone seeing me or helping me. In case Lord Isembart or mother decides to track me down. "

   " So, escape on the night of the ball? " Cecilia asked, looking toward you with an eyebrow raised.

   " Escaping on the night of the ball seems all well and good. I can finally live the life I want when I get out of here. "

   " Well, if you need any food, let me know. I'll make you a basket of food to survive until you find a place to settle down. "

   " I appreciate it, Cecilia. "

   " My lady, it is time we are to be off. "

Arlutrix walked up to your form, looking at you with the same, uncolored expression. Slowly, you nodded, said goodbye to your friends, and walked with Arlutrix toward your new 'home.' Though, you don't claim the house as home since you cannot feel comfortable there. Home was a place you could go to and feel safe and comfortable, but this new place was not home. You loved Vumaedal, but you would if you had to leave to live a new life.

The house was close, and the short trip seemed shorter than usual. Arlutrix opened the door to the home, and you were greeted with silence. There was no one waiting for you, and the house was so quiet you could hear the squeaks of the wood underneath your feet.

   " Lord Isembart says he will be home soon, and he sent me to retrieve you. He wishes to see you upon coming home. "

   " Okay. "

   " He also says there is a gift upstairs for you. "

Finally, something interesting was happening around the house. You walked toward the stairs and started going up the steps toward the bedroom you were given. Upon opening the door, a white box greeted you on the bed. A yellow bow was on top of the box, coloring the pure box, but you didn't know what could be underneath the lid. Slowly you untied the bow and pulled the lid up to peek inside the box.