Chapter 21: Secrets Upon Secrets

" Ever since, I've worked for Lord Isembart. That's my story, my lady. "

Arlutrix raised his head, looking in your direction. You remained silent, holding your legs close to you with nothing to say. 

   ' There were always problems with rumors in the kingdom, but to drive a woman to the extent of a knife. . .that's horrible. '

   " I-I'm so sorry you had to experience that. A little kid should be able to rely on their parents growing up. "

   " Don't apologize. The whole experience made me who I am today. I'm stronger, and I've learned so much magic that I've almost reached my peak. As long as I know the true story: that my father was a good man, that my mother was a wonderful woman, and that they loved me, I'll be okay. Of course, my mother wasn't the best woman around, but she was to me, and I loved her for who she was. "

   " I understand why you don't want to tell people your story, but aren't you tired of the story about the fire changing? I mean, people these days are assuming Astor was abusive when really, he wasn't. "

Arlutrix's smile softened, and he stood from his spot on the snowy grass. He slowly walked over to you and sat down beside you. Arlutrix moved his arm to rest around your shoulder, holding you close. His body was warm, and you melted against the warmth, feeling like you were wrapped in a cotton blanket.

   " No matter what, the story will continually change. The archmage was abusive; the archmage was a witch; Isabell had multiple affairs. .  .No matter what, the story is going to continue to change. Your skin grows thick to those sorts of things after a while, and you learn to handle the gossip. I don't mind them anymore. "

   " But doesn't it hurt? Knowing people are slandering your parents? "

   " Sometimes, it does, but if I act out as my father did, it will only prove to people that their rumors are true. And I don't want to prove them right. "

It was silent for a bit, and you felt your eyes slowly close. Then, sleep washed over you, drifting your mind into a dreamless sleep. You yawned, but before going to sleep, you spoke the last sentence to Arlutrix before falling asleep in his warmth.

   " I admire that strength. You're a powerful person Arlutrix and thank you for keeping me warm. "

Arlutrix didn't speak, realizing you were fatigued, and let you lean against him to sleep. He would rather you be comfortable in his warmth than freeze and get sick. Arlutrix remained awake to watch over the scene before falling asleep, leaning his head against the tree. 

The sun rose into the sky, shedding light on the snowy forest and revealing the two bodies lying in the snow, holding each other for warmth. The fire, long since burnout, had only a pile of black to sit in the snow. Arlutrix was the first to wake up, and he rubbed his eyes with his free hand. When the fatigue was gone from his eyes, he looked down at your sleeping figure. He smiled and felt a slight blush on his cheek. The warlock stood from the snow and covered the burnt embers in the snow before sliding the bag onto one of his arms. Then, instead of waking you, Arlutrix picked you up and carried you away from the settlement.

Eventually, you woke up and walked alone without Arlutrix's help. By the time the sun was gone, you had entered the kingdom and followed Arlutrix to the Isembart Manor. Light was coming from the windows, telling you Lord Isembart was home. Before entering, you turned to Arlutrix and showed him a small smile.

   " Thank you for being kind to me. I shall not let your secret be told. "

Arlutrix nodded and gestured for you to open the door. A shaky breath left your body as you raised your hand to rest on the door handle. You didn't want to open the door, but you knew that you couldn't run away with Arlutrix behind you. With a deep breath, you turned the handle and entered the house. The cold air was left behind you as the warmth of the fire inside swept around you. Footsteps bound their way to you from upstairs, and Lord Isembart appeared at the bottom of the staircase.

   " Sweetheart! "

Lord Isembart ran to you, enveloping you in a hug, pressing your head against his shoulder. The lord's arm wrapped around your waist, holding you close to his body. You didn't move or make any gesture to hug the man back but let him hug you. Arlutrix shut the door to the home and stepped inside, folding his hands in front of himself.

   " I was so worried! I'm glad you're alright and nothing happened to you. Why in the world did you run off like that? "

   " Cold feet. " You said.

Lord Isembart pulled away from you, keeping his hands on your arms. He sighed, but the smile on his face remained.

   " I can't be and at you. Everyone bride gets cold feet before their wedding. Have you eaten? Do you want anything before--"

   " I'm going to retire to my bed chambers. Have a good night Lord Isembart. "

Coldly, you walked up the stairs and went into your room, but as soon as you shut the door, you collapsed, with tears streaming down your face. On the first floor, Lord Isembart turned to look at Arlutrix and gestured with his hand for the warlock to follow. Arlutrix obediently followed his master into the living room.

   " I want you to tell me everything that happened on your journey. "

   " I will, but I do have one question, my lord. "

   " What is it? "

   " When do you plan to inform Lady Y/n, of the incident with Eve? "

   " Never, Y/n must never know. It was a one-night stand, and I'd already informed Eve never to come around me again. Y/n, cannot know that I slept with another woman. "

   " But isn't that wrong? "

   " No, I'm keeping our marriage safe by whatever means possible. If she found out that I slept with another woman while she ran away, there will be plenty of reasons for her not to marry me. "

   " Why do you want to marry Y/n, my lord? You never did tell me. "

Arlutrix eagerly waited for his master's answer, curious why he was determined to Marry Y/n. The mage knew it couldn't be love since Lord Isembart slept with another woman, but he wanted to hear it himself. Though you haven't been with the Isembart household long, Arlutrix found himself caring for your well-being.

   " I'm growing old, Arlutrix. I need to have an heir to my fortune and spoils when I'm gone. To have an heir, I need a young, healthy, beautiful woman to bore that child. Y/n is just that. She will receive compensation for being married to someone of high status and living in luxury until she dies. Love can grow over time, and that is what will happen, so in the end, we will both die happily, and our child can continue their life with the spoils of my work. Now, tell me about your journey. "

Arlutrix told his master about the trip and everything that happened. But, of course, he left out a few details for his sake and yours. After hearing the story, Lord Isembart was happy that nothing important happened between the two. Then he retired to his chambers for the night, leaving Arlutrix in the living room looking at the fire. The warlock's hands formed fists as Arlutrix looked into the fire, feeling awful from bringing you back to the pathetic man he called a master.