Chapter Five

I AM OUT OF HIS LEAGUE!

WHY DOESN'T HE LIKE ME?

[ 1.02 ]

Nick Nelson was really confused. The type of confused where his confusion was only making him more confused. When hanging out with Charlie he had a really good time and felt like himself around him. They had so much fun and Nick noticed that he had gotten a weird feeling in his stomach whenever Charlie touched him lightly. It was weird and he wasn't sure what he was feeling, but he knew it wasn't how he felt around his other friends.

But then there was Venus. After he called her on Saturday night, he couldn't help but struggle to get her out of his head. Upon hearing that she had been drinking, all he wanted to do was go over to her house on Sunday and make her cups of tea and ensure she was taken care of. Instead, he resorted to simply texting her throughout the day and giving her another call before they went to sleep.

Soon enough, he was calling her every night to talk. Over the half term, he found himself wanting to see her but too scared to ask. So, he let himself just call her before they both went to bed. Venus had no problem with this, waiting for Charlie to fall asleep and sneaking out of his room so she could talk to him. They would spend hours on the phone and Venus' struggle to fall asleep ensured her that when they hung up she could sneak into Charlie's bed again. It was almost funny, as Nick usually spent the day texting Charlie and wanting to see him and then he would get the same feeling when he called Venus.

He did see Charlie more over the half-term break, but it seemed every time they hung out Venus always had plans with her other friends. Tao and Isaac were a little suspicious as she had never wanted to spend so much time with them before, but Tori and Elle were always happy to see the girl. If Venus wasn't calling Nick every night, he would think that she was avoiding him.

(She was).

Nick just felt so confused because the same feeling in his stomach he got when hanging out with Charlie would always come back whenever he heard Venus' voice over the phone. He knew it couldn't have been butterflies because why would his best friend give him butterflies? It didn't make any sense to him.

He glanced down at his phone while sitting at the picnic table on the first day back at school after the small break, a smile appearing when he saw who texted him.

Venus:
can you listen to this and tell me if you think it's any good?
doing a music thing for charlie and want some songs to be a surprise
would send to tori but she'd tell charlie so you have to keep it a secret

Nick felt his cheeks turned pink at the idea that she wanted his opinion. He watched as she sent an audio file, feeling butterflies in his stomach as he reached for his earphones so he could listen to it. However, as he plugged the earphones into his phone, the seat beside him was suddenly taken.