Tims puppy

"Are you guys ready for movie night?" Lucy asked, preparing the popcorn.
"Yeeees!" Came the cheers from the kids. Tamara already had settled them in the living room. "Ouh my gosh, my ears." She complained, but with a smile on the face.
"When's daddy coming home?" Theo asked, eyeing his favorite chocolate bar.
"Soon honey. He should be home any minute." Lucy brought in the bowls of popcorn and settled them on the table. "Does everyone has their drink?"
The kids nodded and Tamara gulped down her wine, "I might need another one."
"Damn girl, hard week?"
Tamara nodded, "I can't wait to get my new job."
"Tell me more later?" Tamara nodded and filled her glas again.
The doorbell rang and the kids got all excited. "Daddy's home!"
Lucy frowned, "stay here yeah?" She moved to the front door. Tim obviously had a key, he wouldn't ring. She held up her gun and walked to the door, looking through the peek hole. There stood a young woman, maybe in her late twenties. She looked nervous and fidgeted with her hands.
Lucy opened the door slightly, "hello?"
The woman looked up, she frowned just like Lucy had a few seconds ago. "Uhm hi Sorry, I-I'm looking for an Tim Bradford?"
Lucy nodded, "that's my husband. He's not at home right now."
The woman looked surprised, "Ouh wow, he married again? That's great-" she interrupted herself and smiled nervously. "Sorry I'm probably not making much sense to you, Uhm could you give him this." The woman handed her a small letter. "It's urgent. I need his help..."
Lucy hesitated but took the letter from her, "what's your name?"
"It's Ava. Your husband helped me once and he told me to come by if I ever needed help again. That's definitely now."
"Do you have a second? I can call him, he shouldn't be far out."
"Ouh Uhm, yes sure." She fidgeted with her hands again. Lucy noticed the thick clothes she was wearing, even though they had a hot L.A. night.
Lucy smiled at her and opened the door a bit wider so she could come out. She reached for her phone and called Tim. He answered at the second ring.
"Sorry Baby, I'm ten minutes out."
"That's fine Uhm hey Listen, there is a Ava in front of our door, she says she needs your help."
Tim took a second to respond, "could you invite her in? I promise I will explain everything to you later."
"Sure babe, drive safe. Love you."
"Love you too." Tim hung up and Lucy turned to Ava, "would you like to come in and have a tea?"
"If I'm not interrupting something, yes please."
"Ouh don't worry. Please come in." Lucy lead the way to the open kitchen, the kids all turned their head and Kojo barked at the intruder, after a second though he seemed to remember her and walked over with a waggling tail.
"Hey there Kojo, old man huh?" Ava patted Kojo and smoothed his face with a kiss the canine seemed to enjoy.
She then looked up to the kids and smiled shyly. "Hey there."
"Hello" the twins said.
"Who are you?" Tamara asked, sipping her wine.
"Uhm I'm Ava. I'm a friend of Tims"
"A friend?" Tamara eyed Lucy.
"Okay Tam, give me the rest of the bottle you clearly had enough for today."
"Noooo"
"Helol Ava." Fei grinned at her, missing a tooth in the front.
"Sorry, Uhm Ava. Those are our kids. Felicity, Theodore, Matthew and Finnegan."
"Ouh that's so great that you guys got to have kids. They're adorable." Ava smiled.
Lucy gave her a thankful nod and made her a cup of tea.
"I'm not adorable" Finnegan stated.
"Sure you're a hardass Finny." Matthew rolled his eyes and shoved his brother.
"Boys. Behave." Lucy said and gave the cup to Ava. Please sit, Tim should be home soon."
"Thanks." Ava took a seat at the kitchen table and Lucy sat down beside her. She watched Ava looking at the kids, a small smile on her lips.
"Tim always told me how much he wanted to have kids. I'm glad it worked out for him."
"Yeah, how do you know T-" Lucy got interrupted by the front door coming to live and her kids running to their dad. Tim threw Fei in the air and greeted each of the, before messing up Tamara's hair. He then looked over at Lucy and Ava, the moment his eyes landed on Ava, his smile disappeared. Lucy looked over at the woman beside her, just to notice that she was actually crying. Tamara seemed to notice as well, she gathered the kids and got them out of the room with the excuse of a surprise.
Tim was at the table with two big steps. Ava stood up and threw her arms around him, sobbing into his shoulder. Tim wrapped his arms around her back, steadying her. He looked over at Lucy an apologetic glint in his eyes. Lucy shook her head, she was worried about this mysterious woman. She got up and excused herself, acting busy in the kitchen to give them some privacy.
Ava needed a few minutes more, than Tim settled her down at a chair again and had her talking, quietly.
Lucy watched him rub her arm and noticed the look on his face. She recognized it immediately. He looked at the kids like that. Every time one of them were hurt or upset. They talked for a while, than Tim looked up and motioned for Lucy to come over. She did, sitting down besides him and offering Ava an ensuring smile.
"Luce, would it be okay if Ava sleeps over with her kids?"
"Of course, there is no problem at all... where are the kids?"
"I still need to get them. That's actually why I'm here."
"I don't really understand, but that's fine. You don't have to tell me, just tell me how I can help."
"That's really nice of you Lucy. Thank you so much." She looked at Tim, "it's really no problem for me if you tell your wife. I can wait in the car."
Tim nods and hands her the keys, "I'll be there in a second."
Ava smiled at Lucy before making her way out of the door. Tim looked after her and sight. "Well, you just met my puppy."
"Your what?" Lucy asked unbelievably.
"My puppy, Ava Solace. I met her after I became P2, I got called to a shoplifting and well she was the shoplifter. Heavenly pregnant and scared. She just wanted some vitamins for her baby because she felt off for a few weeks. She was 14 when I met her. Her parents threw her out when she became pregnant, I made sure that she got a proper meal before I helped her find a place for her to be safe. Now she's 29 with a healthy kid, well now kids. But unfortunately, she married an asshole. Turns out he's an abusive bastard, she wants her kids out before something happens to them."
"And you're gonna go get them." Lucy came to an conclusion.
"Exactly." Tim said, getting up.
"Do you want me to come with you?"
"I got this, I get some backup from Night Shift in case he makes some problems. Listen, the kids, they're shy. Maybe it would be best if our trouble makers are in bed by then."
"That I can do."
"Thanks babe." Tim draws her in, giving her a kiss. "I Love you."
"I love you too."
Tim smiled at her and followed Ava out of the door.

Lucy explained the necessity's to the kids and promised them a redo of movie night. The time she brought them all to bed, Tim was back with Ava and two kids. A roughly 14 year old boy and a toddler girl.
"Hey there." Lucy smiled at the kids.
"Dylan, Grace. This is Lucy." Tim said, placing a bag down.
"Nice to meet you two, are you hungry?"
Grace nodded. Dylan just frowned. The frown disappeared the moment Kojo walked to them. The kids got all excited and petted Kojo, who seemed to enjoy it very much. Ava smiled at Lucy and mouthed a thank you.
"I'll go take your bags to the guest room. And tomorrow I'll take you to your new home yeah?" Tim asked the kids. They nodded and resumed playing with Kojo. Lucy went to fix them something to eat, with the help of Ava.
"Thank you for all this. It must be crazy for you. Your husband bringing in a woman with kids in the middle of the night."
"Ouh don't worry Ava. I get it, you're his puppy." Lucy smiled at him.
Ava laughed a bit, "I see, your familiar with this term."
"Yeah, I have my own. The slightly drunk girl with the big mouth."
"So you're a police officer?"
Lucy nodded, "I'm a detective."
"She was my boot." Said Tim, grinning. Lucy smacked his arm, "do you have to tell that every time?"
"Absolutely." Tim kissed her and snatched a carrot off the plate.
"Hands off, they're not for your sexy ass." She smacked his hand away.
Ava laughed, "he always was so impatient."
"So not true."
"It is." Both woman said, laughing.
Tim smiled and shook his head, he returned to the kids and sat them down at the table to eat. Lucy and Ava brought in the plates and the kids started to eat.
They finished dinner and Ava and the kids went back to bed, exhausted from the day.
Lucy looked after her kids before returning downstairs and seeing Tim washing the dishes. She sat down on the counter and sipped her leftover beer.
"Your puppy seems nice."
Tim smiled a bit, "she is. And her kids are dead gorgeous. Dylan is a little protector and Grace is just always happy."
"How come you never told me about her?"
"I-I actually don't know. She got married a few months after she turned eighteen and we kinda lost contact after that. Though now...I definitely regret it Luce. That bastard turned abusive after they got Grace. Tried to excuse it with Exhaustion from having a baby."
"That's no excuse... what did you do?"
"Got the kids out and helped Ava report him and get the first step to the divorce. If he's just a bit like the man that I remember he won't do anything more stupid."
Lucy watched Tim. He clenched his jaw and rubbed the surface dry.
"Are you okay?" She asked him softly.
Tim took his time to answer, "no...not really."
Lucy jumped from the surface and pulled him into a hug. Tim let go of the scrub and gently hugged her back.
"It's just...I have enough of getting people I love out of abusive relationships."
"I know. I'm so sorry you can't get a break." Lucy gently rubbed his back.
"It's not that bad with you by my side." He hurried his head in her hair, enjoying her calming presence.
"Let's go to bed, it was a long day." Lucy told him.
Tim nodded and followed her upstairs.