Chapter 11- 23-06-2004

"It's not that I hate the subject, I just don't like Mr. Martin." Ava tried to defend herself. We were on our way to English class which I just discovered I had with Ava. I had most of my classes with her, which was quite convenient as I had a friend with me. I only had a few classes with Tyler and I felt more comfortable with a friend rather than with strangers.

You'd think that a girl like me who had spent her whole life alone felt uncomfortable being without friends.

How ironic.

"And why wouldn't you like him? He's such a lovely teacher." I defend the English teacher who Ava seems to have a great dislike for. "I feel like he has it out for me." I face-palm myself. "He doesn't even acknowledge your presence," I state the obvious. "That's exactly what I'm talking about!" Ava exclaims like it's the most obvious thing ever.

Remind me why I'm friends with her again.

Because you need her help dummy.

Right...

I sigh.

"Ava you..." I trail off when my eyes connect with a pair of brown ones. "Jake?"

"Hey, Rae." He gives a small smile. I smile back a bit curious as to why he was talking to me.

"Hey...Jake." My mind drifts back to Brooklynn and how she likes him. I don't want any more problems with her. I take a step back to put more distance between Jake and me. I wasn't afraid of Brooklynn, but I sure didn't want any problem with her especially if it had to do with Jake.

I furrow my brows when I see his attention drift off to Ava and stays there for a while.

A long while.

I clear my throat to grab his attention.

"So...what's up?" I know that's pretty lame, but I just don't know what to say to him. I thought none of Brooklynn's friends would talk to me anymore, and despite that, I never really had a conversation with Jake before so it was kind of weird he was talking to me.

"Oh nothing, you weren't at the table yesterday and I just came to say hi." I give him a nod. My eyes scan the hallway, I'm just hoping Brooklynn doesn't show up.

"Well, we gotta get going now or we'll be late for class," I say as the bell goes off. I'm just glad I don't have to spend another minute here with him.

"What are you guys having?" I turn to Ava who has been silent ever since Jake showed up. She stares straight ahead not bothering to take a look at either me or Jake. "English." I answer, fully aware that Ava wasn't ready to do so.

What's wrong with her?

I take a mental note to ask her later.

"Mr. Martins?" He questions further. My eyes move around frantically watching as other students hurry to class. At this rate, we're gonna be late for class. "Yes...well we have to go now Jake, don't wanna be late for class."

Like we aren't late already.

"Well then...let me walk you guys to class." I internally groan.

Dude, don't you have somewhere to go to?

"No need for that, I'm sure you have class to get to." I say hoping he'll get the memo and leave, but unfortunately, his smile broadens.

"Oh, I don't have classes until the third period." He says with a shrug.

Oh goodie. Not!

"Come on, let's get going." He begins to walk towards our English class while Ava and I follow. The hallway is pretty much empty, well except for the few students who either don't have class or are skipping.