Chapter 21-Sugar, really?

Rae's POV

"Here," I murmur a simple thank you as Diana passes me a cup of tea. I breathe in the aroma and sigh as I sip it.

They watch me intently as I take several more sips before setting the cup down on my bedside table. I look down at my hands on my lap, the guilt I'd felt since I'd heard Elena's distressed voice finally surfacing.

"I'm really sorry." My eyes stay glued to my hands as I can't bear seeing the disappointment on their faces. "What did you just say?" Elena speaks out.

"I said I'm sorry. I never should've gone near Skyler's room much less her piano and caused so much trou-" I get caught off by Elena's laughter. My head immediately shoots up to look at her and I frown in confusion as even Diana smiles.

"What's wrong? What's so funny?"

Elena's laughter dies off and she places her hands over mine.

"We're not disappointed in you Rae. Darling, I don't want you apologizing for something that isn't your fault. My stupid son should be groveling at your feet right now and not probably drinking his 'sorrows' away." She rolls her eyes, putting air quotes on the 'sorrows'.

I let out a chuckle.

"Aren't you mad that I used your daughter's piano without permission?"

"I'm not, why do you think I gave you the book in the first place? The orphanage gave out a lot of information about you including your exceptional piano skills. I wasn't sure you'd be so keen about the idea of continuing your lessons so I figured you just needed a little push." She gave a little shrug.

"When I'd seen you sneak into the room some weeks ago I immediately told Elena about it and we've been monitoring it all for a while now." I look at Diana in shock. She smiles. "I'm the housekeeper here, I know everything that goes on in this house."

"And I own this house so I know everything that goes on in my own home...even Trevor's whereabouts." She gives a slightly irritated look before she breaks into a big smile. "I knew you'd eventually tell me so I didn't want to pressure it out of you, but I wish he would've found out less scandalously...it would've saved me my sleep and that bruise on your arm." My eyes fall on the purplish print of Trevor's hand on my forearm.

"I hope he gets better." She sighs, her smile dropping into a frown. "I don't want you hating him Rae, he's a really nice boy and a good brother...he's just finding it difficult to get over his sister's death, she was the most important person to him, and losing her took a large chunk of him, a chunk I'm hoping he'll get back soon. It hurts me to watch my son go through all this anger and bitterness and be unable to do a single thing about it." I squeeze her hand unable to come up with any words of comfort.

She gives a small smile.

"Well we better get going, you have school tomorrow and need your beauty sleep. Finish up your tea, it'll help you sleep better."

I gulp down the rest of the tea and Diana collects it from me. Elena gives my hand a small squeeze and they both walk out the door.

I turn off the bedside lamp and stare up at the ceiling.

My thoughts stay on a set of angry blue eyes and I sigh. The weirdest thing is that I feel no anger towards him. I guess at some point my anger turned into pity...pity for the boy who lost something so special.

I guess in some ways we're both lacking something we're desperate for...the difference being the way we handle that lack.

****