26

FELIX

I blinked a few times, trying to let the words Angus just said sink in. Before I did anything else, I linked my Grandpa Jo. Grandpa, can you come to my apartment and take a pup to the clinic for me?

Barely a minute later, there was a knock on the front door. I left the kitchen and answered the door while waving Clover over. "Clover, this is my grandpa Jo. He is going to take you to get looked at to make sure you're healthy, okay?"

"No!" Clover shouted as he wrapped his little arms around my leg. "Look. See me now. Am healthy." I smiled warmingly at him and gently pried him off my leg to kneel down so I was closer to his level.

"There are some things that we can't see on the outside. Like your heart," I gently poked his chest causing him to smile. "Or your tummy," I poked his stomach causing him to giggle loudly. "I promise that you'll come right back here once you're done, okay?"

"Fine." He turned to face my grandpa.

"Hey there Clover. My name is Joseph but you can call me JJ if you'd like." He said while holding a hand out for Clover to take. What I wasn't expecting was for Clover to hold his arms out for Grandpa to pick him up.

"Go JJ." He demanded causing both of us to laugh while he walked the two of them out.

Now that I knew that Clover wasn't going to overhear anything he shouldn't have, I made my way back to the kitchen.

"I'm going to pretend that I didn't hear that last sentence you said, just in case you didn't mean it. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. And before we have this conversation I want to remind you that my older sibling is adopted. Please explain why you think adoption isn't the right call for us."

"I just don't understand how we can love someone like our own if they aren't ours. Why should we adopt a child when we can have children of our own?" I was shocked at the words my mate was saying, I barely recognized him.

"So what should we do? Just let him go back out there on his own? A two year old in the woods on his own, how long do you think he'll last?"

He rolled his eyes, "of course I don't think we should send him off to the woods. Obviously he should be taken care of, I just don't think we should do it. We shouldn't make our lives difficult for someone that isn't even ours."

I sighed and rubbed my face in frustration. I didn't understand how I could've been with him for so long and not know the way he felt about adoption. If I knew I wouldn't die, I would've left him over it. But I would, so the only thing I could've done was try to change his mind on the matter. "How about a compromise?"

"What do you mean?" He asked, skeptical.

"It's clear that Clover is already attached to me, to make his transition into our pack better, we take care of him. He stays with us until we find a family for him. If you end up loving him during that time then we keep him, if not we find someone who will."

"We can do that. But don't get your hopes up, alright? I won't love someone that isn't my own blood."