29

ANGUS

"Thank you all for coming today." I spoke in front of the future gardeners of the pack, these were the people that would handle the pack's vegetables and fruits. "My goal with this project is for us to become less dependent on the human world grocery stores. Let me ask you something, when you go to the store for the pack food, how often can you not get something because there isn't enough in stock?"

"Very often," One of them answered.

"With this project we will run into the problem less and less, until we no longer rely on grocery stores for our food."

"Momma, plant!" Clover said happily as he pointed at the tilled dirt next to us.

I turned to him and smiled, "Just a second, hun." I said before turning back to the others. "Any questions?"

"How are we going to suddenly start producing our own vegetables? It'll take months before we harvest anything."

"That is where I come in." I said before turning to the dirt. I took a deep breath and dug my fingers into the soft dirt. I closed my eyes and thought about what I wanted to grow, broccoli, spinach, zucchini, and squashes, all weeks away from harvest.

When I opened my eyes, there was green everywhere, stems and leaves.

"Wow Momma!" Clover cheered loudly as he ran to me. I was thankful that I had been spending most of my time in my semi-human form, because I quickly caught him and spun us around. He giggled loudly and put a hand on my cheek, "Momma magic!" My heart swelled at his words, he looked up at me with stars in his little eyes.

I kissed his little cheek before turning to the others yet again. "As you can see, I can grow almost anything, almost instantly. They'll need a few weeks to be ready to harvest, but because they were grown with magic they will keep producing until the season is over. With the money we save from buying less produce, we will build a greenhouse so we can grow during the winter as well."

↫↬

A few months later

I smiled happily at the pack gardens, it was the middle of spring and we were thriving. It wasn't just the gardens that were doing well either, the whole pack was doing great. Defenses were at an all time high thanks to me and my magic.

I grew large thick vines and roots around the border of our land, with arches at the north, east, south, and west sides as entrances. We started hunting a few of the local wildlife, we didn't want to endanger anything so we would still buy meat from the human stores. But our goal was still the same: become less dependent on humans.

Back to the gardens, we were able to spend the money saved on the supplies to build greenhouses. We built three large greenhouses, one of which held fruit trees, while the other two held more popular out of season vegetables.

I narrowed my eyes as I saw Clover trying, and failing, to sneak into the fruit greenhouse unnoticed. It was a recurring problem, keeping Clover out of there. He went wild for fruit, it's something he didn't have access to while he lived in the wild. I was just thankful that he didn't seem to be allergic to anything so far, I don't know how he would've taken the news.

I quickly made my way to the greenhouse, hoping to make it there before he picked any premature fruit.

"What are you doing in here, my flower?" I asked as I watched Clover freeze.

"Um, Momma eat." He said pointing to an apple that was too high for him to reach on his own.

"Remember, Hun, try big boy words." I said softly as I walked to him and lifted him into my arms. We had been trying to teach him more words. Thankfully because he was so young, his brain was like a little sponge.

I watched as his little face scrunched up as he thought about the words he wanted to use. "Momma, eat please." He smiled up at me, causing me to laugh softly.

"Of course, my flower. But these aren't ready to eat yet, we have some at home. Why don't we get Poppa and all have some apples, yeah?"

"Poppa an apples!" He cheered while he threw his little arms up in the air.