chapter eight

Elaine had become dehydrated. The colorful lights that were flashing and shifting as the people around her energetically danced surprised her. She searches for Francis, but she appears to be out of sight. The environment was becoming more boisterous, with the music blaring in her ears. She struggled to catch her breath, unable to form words; all she craved was water.

"I've finally found you!" Elaine glances back and spots Francis with two sangrias in hand. She hands it to Elaine, who accepts it with pleasure.

Elaine says, realizing that the music has drowned out her voice, "I was the one searching for you everywhere."

"Well, go ahead and finish your drink. The party has yet to begin."

"It hasn't?" Francis shook her head in response. She leads her to the lounge area, only to find Carl smoking rolled up weed with Adam, who is his close friend. Francis jokingly slaps Carl's forearm and shoots him a humorous glance.

"You didn't share with me!"

"I searched everywhere for you," Carl says, gazing up at Elaine. He instinctively reaches for her hand, guiding her to sit next to me. "And now, I've found you."

"You're making me feel sick." Adam playfully groaned and covered his face with his hands. Francis winced at her expression and sat next to Adam, placing her legs on his lap.

Carl sips from Elaine's drink and smacks his lips. "This is delicious! Where did you find it?"

Her head feeling very stirred, she answered, "Francis was the one who brought me the drink."

He laughs softly, gently tucking her hair behind her ear. "And Francis claims I'm the one who was going to drug you both."

"That happened a long time ago, by the way. And I would never drug Elaine, ever! She's just too innocent for that."

"So, you're suggesting I'm innocent?" Elaine asked, placing her hand on her chest in a dramatic manner. Francis' laughter reverberates around the room. "Oh my god, I am so much more than that. Don't talk down to me like I'm a child."

"Don't forget, you're three months older than me."

Elaine chuckles and keeps sipping her drink, attempting to shake off her dizziness. As she continues to drink, her headache intensifies. She grabs her phone to see if Amelia has texted her. Nothing, she thought with a heavy heart. Perhaps Amelia was preoccupied with work or enjoying a glass of wine with her coworkers. She ponders the occasional desire to socialize, unsure of her identity beyond her role as a teacher and her charismatic demeanor.

"Will you be staying at her place tonight?" Carl makes sure to speak loudly so that Elaine can hear him. She shrugged, and he wrapped his arm around her, holding her close. Adam glanced at Carl briefly before turning his attention back to Francis.

"I can give you a ride home tonight if you'd like," Francis offered.

"It's okay. I'll most likely end up leaving with Carl anyway."

"You sure your mom would be fine with a boy taking you home?"

Elaine smugly raises her shoulders once more, the relentless throbbing in her head refusing to cease. She was aware of her inebriation but never expected to be this intoxicated.

"I guess so, yeah."

"I don't mind," Carl smiles as he kisses Elaine's lips. It was a short kiss, though. They were both aware that an extended kiss would lead to an uncomfortable situation. He moves back and gently reaches for her neck, observing her warmth. "Hey, you're warm." I believe you've had your fill of drinks.